Chapter 35

In his cell, Kwan's excitement soared as he waited to hear from his new friend Jimmy. He would soon be liberated from Camp 22, but that wouldn't be the end of his fight.

He closed his eyes and focused on contacting more prisoners in his ward. Kwan's ears rang in a high pitched screech as a forceful vibration resonated deep inside his mind. Energy poured out of the orifices of his ears, causing them to feel like they were rippling. His eardrum beat in time with his heart.

As his third eye opened up chaos flooded his quiet subconscious. The thoughts, screams and spoken contemplations of the captives pounded through his mind making him dizzy. From the sheer force of energies pressuring behind his eyes Kwan thought they were about to explode. Musings of the other prisoners consumed his own.

Disorientated by the voices that ran into each other like white noise pulsated through his head. He clutched his skull. His ears continued to hear a high pitched frequency, his temples and the core of his brain vibrated. Too many consciences swamped his mind, too many souls to focus on. He took a deep breath. He needed to concentrate on one at a time if he was ever going to make real contact.

Many prisoners were on his ward judging from the vast amount of doors Kwan had seen on his travels to the Kanzius Machine and the various other experiments. In a way he couldn't clarify, he fine-tuned his mind until he could hear only one voice of a woman crying hysterically.

 "Please don't cry." Pleaded Kwan. "My name is Kwan. I can help you. I can get us out."

"Fuck off!" The sorrowful woman screamed back at the top of her lungs, distraught from Kwan's mental contact, judged as an invasion rather than a saviour.

"Please, I only want to help you. I 'm also a prisoner at Camp 22."

"Fuck off!" The woman replied again in a shattering pitch in Kwan's head, the ringing in his ears penetrating deeper into his mind.

He tried connecting with her, converging his mind on her surroundings, visualise her cell, but all he could see was darkness. He could still sense a warmness towards her though diminished so faint the feeling was hardly there at all. Her mind was too shut off.

"Listen...Please. We're getting out. If you co-operate you'll be free from here, I promise you. Once we break out security might be much tighter. This may be your only chance. I am asking you to join us. There are chips in your teeth that you need to get out." Kwan remained calm. He understood that many of the patients had so many mind games played on them they could never trust another human again. Even he'd lost his faith in humanity until recently.

 "I SAID FUCK OFF!!" The woman screamed in a tone that shocked through Kwan like a high voltage of electricity, triggering his body to jerk. The shrill shrieks made him cover his ears instinctively although in vain. The volume was inside his mind.

Kwan accepted defeat though admitting this broke his heart he couldn't reach this woman. He was only distressing her further. Maybe she was damaged beyond repair. He didn't want to persist with an inmate that didn't want to talk, but Kwan prayed she'd escape. If his plan was successful then hopefully she would be free to find the peace of mind she deserved.

Kwan dimmed out her voice, now screaming obscenities at him like a spewing drunk. He tried to focus on another prisoner's thoughts, hopeful that the next person would be more open and susceptible to Kwan's strategic plan.

The core in Kwan's brain throbbed, beating like a second heart. His third eye was completely open. Within seconds, he could feel the presence of a man. His power felt strong and a warmness irradiated him. Although Kwan could sense this prisoner was angry and scared, raging to himself out loud, his mind was still open enough for Kwan to see his surroundings.