Chapter 43

Exhausted from hours of concentration Aradia curled up on the bed and cloaked herself in the thin dirty rags that were her covers. She was ready to fall asleep, she'd achieved some great things.

Aradia had contacted many women inside her own ward. She was surprised to realize the ten confined here were all female as this was an institute that took on both male and female patients.

She'd been able to contact others inside Serbsy. Irana, the empathic and quiet remote viewer had been the first after Vera.  She'd been very clingy and didn't want her to leave though Aradia understood her reasons.

She had then connected with Manya, a woman who possessed invisibility, a very cocky young woman who would've had a god-like complex if the centre wasn't controlling her. Yet her headstrong ways and fearless attitude was pinnacle to escaping. Darya was the third and final after Vera before Aradia was too drained to carry on any further.

Darya was a woman with an incredible gift of self-healing. Ironically, she had a past of self-harming, an energy focused totally on herself. She had healed her mother from a broken leg before leaving for Serbsy Centre with the promise of a cure of self-harming and a chance to find inner peace.

Papers from the files scattered around the bed as Aradia collapsed on the unforgiving frame.  Bolting upright the lock clicked on the door of her cell.

The bulb that always boasted red light didn't illuminate. The sinister voices from the intercom didn't crackle. This person didn't want to warn her they were coming. Had someone realised that Tatiana had leaked the files of their best experiments, the secrets of their best creations?

As quick as she could Aradia shoved the paper down the side of her bed pressed against the wall in a vain attempt to hide them. A figure taller than Tatiana shuffled in, hiding the rest of the archives was pointless.

In slow movements but with full acceptance Aradia looked towards the door to see her executioner, accepting that Tatiana couldn't come back to save her again.

Not wanting to seem weak but defiant to the death, Aradia raised herself with the little strength she had left to her feet. Sooner or later the news would have seeped that the vital files were missing. She just didn't think she would have such little time. She clenched her small fists as quickly as the door slammed shut.

But when Aradia looked into the face of the figure she realised she knew this person. He'd strangely come to her cell alone, something he'd never done before. Unsure of his intentions Aradia stood still, finding herself holding her breath.

"I've come to get you out of here." Vladimir spoke, his tone laced with concern. "It's come to light about the missing files. It won't be long until they have decided their next move. They know something isn't right."

Tatiana hadn't mentioned that Vladimir was part of her and Dr. Walker's vision but when she thought about her encounters with him he'd always been nice to her. He'd never been cruel like Andrei and in some ways had even tried to protect her from his horrible remarks and gestures.

"Tatiana..." Aradia spluttered, unsure if she really could trust him.

"Tatiana was foolish to give you those files. I don't know what she was thinking. For years we've planned this. We were so close to ripping the lid off. This went against everything we'd plotted."

Aradia was responsible for putting them all in danger. She shouldn't have convinced Tatiana to give her the patients' records. She knew the consequences, but she didn't think they would be caught out so fast.

"It's my fault..." Aradia muttered, uncertain of how to act around Vladimir. She'd always seen him as the enemy.

"Don't blame yourself. Tatiana knew the risks. She must have some real faith in you to go against all we've been working for. She could've jeopardised everything. I have to take you with me, Aradia. We've somewhere safe for you, somewhere they won't find you. Hopefully, we can buy you some time."