21

Breakfast started as a quiet affair - but it does not last long. It ever does when you have three opinionated daughters raised by a man like Austin. Hazel had come in from the fields first, Austin had left her happy and content in the wee hours of the morning so she has her emotions in check - somewhat. Mr. Post and Ace had arrived just after her and then Jimmy followed by Austin. They had all murmured good morning while Linda had sloshed strong hot coffee in their mugs as they took a quiet moment to let the black sludge warm their chests. Ayla is the first girl to arrive back but being the quiet girl she is Hazel had only noticed her once as she slid into her chair next to Hazel and she accepts a slice of hot buttered toast from her father and a glass of milk from Linda. Harper and Dixie arrive seconds later but they are much louder and Hazel hears their giggles as they stamp up the kitchen stairs.

She also knows something is afoot when they share a knowing glance after they roll their eyes at Jimmy. Hazel sighs, poor Jimmy. Austin's girls are as unforgiving as he is and while Hazel feels sorry for the beating Jimmy is bound to receive from her rancher and oldest daughter, he too will not escape the micro beatings from her other three daughters. Jimmy will leave this ranch one of two ways - broken or broken in. Austin and his daughters will be fully responsible. Hazel hears knocking on the table and looks up to see Dixie rapping her knuckles on the table. "You know, Jimmy, my father built this table. With his bare hands - before Evelyn was born," she says. Jimmy raises his head and looks at her with a sullen face. Hazel thinks she knows Jimmy is aware of what's to come. "Yes, and don't you think it's sturdy? Solid? Perfect? After all these years?" Harper says running her hand over the smooth surface of the table. "I do," Jimmy mumbles.

"I agree, and to think this table has been used three times a day since it was crafted so skillfully," Ayla adds while Harper and Dixie nod in agreement. "How did he do it, I wonder?" Harper asks. Jimmy says nothing. "Oh, I don't think he knows dear sister," Dixie says with an exaggerated sigh and a shake of her head. "Ayla, you are four - do you know?" Harper asks. "I do, every good rancher knows. Why don't you try your hand at answering, Jimmy? Just give it a go," Ayla says. "Oh, yes! Think of it as a learning experience. We are all young here - learning is what we do best. Is that not right, Dad?" Harper says and Austin gives her a tight nod as he hides his grin with a sip of his coffee. "You are in a safe place here, Jimmy, rest assured that whatever your answer is we will take it seriously," Dixie says. "As long as it is correct," Austin mumbles.

Jimmy looks at Austin who is now leaning back on his chair with folded arms and that unimpressed gaze on his face. "Dry wood. Solid dry wood that would not dry out further over time causing surface cracks or striping the nails which would render the table unstable and useless," Jimmy says, not taking his eyes off Austin. "Well now, ain't that the truth," Dixie says as she stands with a slice of toast in her hand. "We'll make a ranch hand out of you yet, Jimmy," Harper says following Dixie to the kitchen door. "Still an idiot though," Ayla says accepting her Stetson from Harper as they all walk out. "Perhaps you could use some of that knowledge whilst working the land instead of just trying to beat little girls at a breakfast table and when I send ranch hands to help you with your work I expect you to use them - not send them away," Austin says standing and placing his Stetson on as he follows Mr. Post and Ace out the door after kissing Hazel softly on the cheek.

"You didn't accept the help from the ranch hands he sent to you last night?"

"He gave me the tasks to complete myself and so that is what I did."

"What time did you finish?"

"Well after midnight. But, my work was pointless. He inspected it this morning and never said a word. I have to tell you, ma'am, I am not sure what to do here. Cottonwood...well, I am beginning to think I never stood a chance," Jimmy says rubbing his hands softly, he has his gloves on and Hazel suspects she may know why. She stands and gets the first aid kit down from above the fridge and sits in front of Jimmy, taking his hands softly. "My rancher is like no other and so I suggest you don't compare him - you will come up short," she whispers taking his gloves off carefully. As she suspected they are cut up and blistered from working on the fence, alone.

"How do I get him to give me a chance?" he asks, flinching as Hazel tends to his hands as softly as she can. "Do you have a bullet in your chest?" she asks, pulling out a needle and thread. There is a cut that will need a few stitches and all the skin is scraped off all his fingertips too - he worked them too hard. "No," he says through clenched teeth as she pushes the needle into his half-numbed skin. "Then you have a chance," Hazel says as she concentrates.

"He is complicated. Hard. Tough. Unforgiving.   Scary. The way he looks at me, it's like he knows what I am thinking...like he can see inside my soul," he says then hisses as Hazel hits a sensitive spot. "Sorry," she whispers and then looks up at him, "I know the feeling, Jimmy. Austin has a way of humbling you without even opening his mouth," she says then goes back to working on his hands.

"I worked my father's land as a young boy, my father was a good man - he was tough on me, but lit a flame that burns with the need to be a man who is honest, careful, and skillful in his trade. I asked to be sent to Texas to learn to be a cowboy so that I could be worthy of the woman I have loved since I was a naive young boy. But, I feel now that all I have learned is how not to be a cowboy."

"I was told once that cowboys are not made, they are born. And you, Jimmy, are a cowboy."

"How can you be so sure, ma'am?"

"Because you are still here."

Hazel stands and takes a pot of cream that she had made using herbs from the ranch then sits down and rubs it onto Jimmy's hands. "Take this with you and put it on your hands every morning, it will soothe the pain and heal your skin," she says then wraps his hands and fingers in soft cotton.

"Every rancher I have worked with has been easy to win over with my hard work and respectful manner - they have felt honored in well-run ranches. I made them look good. Cottonwood...I can't work out what will win him over."

Hazel helps him put his gloves back on and then smiles at him. "As I said, my rancher is like no other, so it will do no good to treat him like other ranchers. While other ranchers put their land first, mine does not. Maybe you should hold dear what he holds dear and then the cowboy that's sitting here," she taps his chest, "will emerge," she says. Jimmy smiles and stands. "Thank you, ma'am, your kindness is as pure as my mother's. She adores you," he says and then hurries out. "Your meddling ways will see your rancher furious," Linda warns as she clears the dishes away. "I have no idea what you mean, Linda," Hazel defends herself. "Mhmm, just remember that nothing slips by Austin and when he demands an explanation from me - I will be snitching," Linda says with a pointed look. Hazel rolls her eyes, it's true, it's only a matter of time until Austin finds out about her conversation with Jimmy and then she is done for - pregnancy and all. But she knows she is right about Jimmy, call it mother's intuition if you like, and so she will take her chances with that stubborn ox of a rancher she married.