Pilot [3]

It was 4:37 AM, and Scully was typing on her laptop while listening to a recording she had made earlier. There was an x-ray of Soames' head with the nasal cavity circled and taped to the lamp.

"Official laboratory inspection of the body and x-ray analysis confirms homologous but possibly mutated mammalian physiology. However, does not account for the small unidentified objects found in the subject's nasal cavity. A grey metallic implant form..." Scully stopped the tape and picked up a small tube containing a gray metallic object.

There was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" Scully called out.

"Steven Spielberg," Mulder teased.

Scully smiled and opened the door.

Mulder leaned up against the doorway in jogging clothes and wearing a baseball cap backward. "I'm way too wired." he explained. "I'm going for a run; you want to come?"

"Pass," Scully said.

Mulder shrugged. "You figure out what that little thing up Ray Soames' nose is yet?"

"No..." Scully yawned. "And I'm not losing any sleep over it. Good night,"

"Well, I'm gonna let Star know you're staying in case she needs something while I'm out,"

Scully merely nodded in response as she closed the door and looked at the x-ray.

***

Mulder held Star's hand as they walked with Scully and Doctor Glass outside the State Psychiatric Hospital.

"Ray Soames was a patient of mine, yes." Doctor Glass explained, "I oversaw his treatment for just over a year of clinical schizophrenia. Ray had the inability to grasp reality. He seemed to suffer from some post-traumatic stress,"

"Is that something you've seen before?" Mulder asked.

"I've treated similar cases,"

"Were any of those Ray Soames' classmates?" Scully wondered.

"Yes,"

"We're trying to find a connection in these deaths." Mulder said, "Did you treat any of these kids with hypnosis?"

"No, I did not,"

"Are you treating any of these kids now?"

"Currently?" Doctor Glass thought it over. "Yes, I'm treating Billy Miles and Peggy O'Dell. Both have been long-term live-in patines,"

"They're here at the hospital?" Scully asked.

"That's right," Doctor Glass nodded "going on four years now,"

"Would it be possible for us to talk to them?"

"Well, you might find it difficult. Certainly, in billy Miles' case,"

***

Billy miles lay on his hospital bed very still. His eyes were open, but there was no sign of life except for the pulse read-out on the monitor.

The group walked in to see Peggy O'Dell sitting in her wheelchair next to Billy.

A nurse was changing the sheets on the adjacent bed.

"Billy's experiencing what we call a waking coma." Doctor Glas explained to the group. "Functionally, his brainwaves are flat, and he's persistent vegetative,"

"How did it happen?" Scully questioned.

"Both he and Peggy were involved in an automobile accident out on State road," doctor Glass looked over at Peggy. "Peggy?"