Every vow you break, every smile you fake

Frankly, Nya felt wonderful. Well, if she could ignore the growing knot in her stomach. At least it had been a wonderful, ordinary week, and she hadn't cried once since that day. Which made her dread the mailman's inevitable visit all the more.

It was a bright, sunny morning, and she had scarcely finished putting away the breakfast things when the knock came. She hurried to open the door, heart beating fast, and there was the mailman in his usual blue uniform, handing her not a bouquet of flowers this time but a simple letter. She thanked him quickly, forced a smile, and shut the door, studying the letter. It had clearly been written in a hurry–it had no real envelope, but was just a piece of parchment folded in thirds and sealed with candle wax. The address was scrawled in messy cursive handwriting. Nya broke the seal and took a breath as she read the brief message.

Dear Nya–

I know this is crazy, and I know you don't want to listen to anything I have to say, but hear me out. I just saw one of my old friends from the village that I told you about, and he told me something that could change everything for us. He doesn't know for sure, but he heard through the grapevine that people have been escaping the kingdom somehow. I know your brother is here and your job and you don't want to leave, but if you want to know more, just ask.

There was no signature, probably because of the letter's scandalous content, but she knew full well who it was from. Who else would tell her about such a thing? A thing that, incidentally, could get them both killed if anyone had cared to break that seal. And who else would even believe such a thing? It clearly wasn't true . . . right? It couldn't be true.

But then again, how could she know? She was so cut off from, well, everything. It wasn't like she had any friends to hear rumors from. And anyone who came to visit her wouldn't tell her something like that, for fear she'd turn them in as a traitor to the Queen.

Besides, Jay wasn't that dumb. He must really believe this if he dared to send her a letter, to get both of their hopes up. And Nya knew what friend he was talking about. This boy had been his closest friend, but now he was far away in the military. At least, he had been. Nya wondered if he was here. If so, maybe he would come to her for a reading. He was the right age. But it would be unlikely he'd tell her anything. Unless, heaven forbid, Jay had told him about their whole . . . situation. No, he couldn't have. It was just as forbidden for him as it was for her.

But then again, this was Jay. She knew his tendency to say things he didn't mean to.

She read the note again. He hadn't said anything about telling his friend, but that didn't make anything certain. No, she knew what she had to do. She'd just have to go see him and make sure, because there was no way she was letting him ruin her reputation.

That was all it would be; just a professional visit, to make sure he hadn't said anything he shouldn't've. She wouldn't express any interest in his crazy runaway plan, but knowing him, he might just tell her anyway. And some part of her hoped he would.

She put on her coat and shoes and set off, walking through the village. The sun was shining, and a warm wind tousled her hair. Villagers stopped to stare at her, whispering. She almost decided to go back home. What if someone saw where she was going, and more rumors spread? But after a moment, everyone went back to what they'd been doing, and Nya forced herself to continue.

Before she knew it, there she was in front of the little house, trying her best to convince herself to knock. Half of her wanted nothing more to do with any of this, wanted to go on living like she had before, oblivious and obedient. But the other half wanted nothing more than to see him again–whether to reprimand him or just see his smile, she couldn't quite tell.