Chapter 8

Working with Normani has been great. Slowly, but surely, we've began to learn the ropes all over again. We were doing a great job of keeping a simple friendship. No I love you's or baby's slipped out, due to my tremendous amount of self control. We had the same shift three out of five days I worked. My training ended after day three, because waitressing really wasn't that difficult once I got the hang of it.

I forgot to call Camila one night, but I hoped she didn't notice. That night, Normani and I stayed after to help others clean up. She offered to do it, and I did it too because I wanted to be near her. By the time I got home, I was too tired to do anything except collapse in bed. She didn't really talk about it the next day though, which I assumed to be a good thing.

I entered Gabbiano's with an extra pep to my step today, for more reasons than one. Of course seeing Normani was the main reason, but there was also the fact that today was payday. I was getting my first biweekly paycheck, and I expected it to at least be somewhere in the two hundreds.

"Good afternoon, Lauren," Dinah greeted me with a wide smile, and I was in such a good mood, I even smiled back at her.

"Hey, Dinah," I grinned on my way past her. She was the hostess, so she never really moved much from her position in the front. It was great, because that meant I didn't have to witness her interactions with Normani. It was almost like I had Normani all to myself, even though Dinah was here as well.

I walked on back to the office to clock in, and I passed Harry. He waved sweetly and followed me over to the computer.

"Hey, what's up?" Harry greeted me. "Why are you all smiley today?"

"I'm just excited about finally getting my check," I admitted and leaned against the wall to be out of the way. "I don't even know what I'm gonna spend it on, but I know I'm looking forward to finally having my own money to spend."

"Me too, I'm trying to decide where to take Lou," Harry sighed and copied my position, looking up at the ceiling to think.

"Who's that?" I questioned, sneaking a peek at the time to see if I had a few minutes to chat.

"My boyfriend," Harry stated proudly, beaming at the thought of him.

"That's adorable!" I squealed and clasped my hands together with a huge smile. I was somewhat relieved he wasn't fawning after me. From his mannerisms alone, I shouldve been able to tell that he was gay, now that I thought about it.

"Thanks, he wants dinner but I can't think of anywhere we haven't already been," Harry disclosed his problem to me, looking to me for any advice.

"Take him to Cold Stone," I proposed automatically, since that was my first date with Camila.

At the subtle mention of her, I kind of felt bad. Normani was beginning to overshadow her again, right when I thought I was getting over her. The worst part was that I noticed it was happening again, but I didn't care.

"Cold Stone? Why would I take him there?" Harry laughed incredulously at my suggestion, but I brushed it off.

"It's fun. I went on a date there about a month ago and it was the most fun I've had in a while," I shrugged. "Personally, I think casual dates are much better than something where you're trying to be all fancy. To me, I think you end up having more fun. With dinner dates, you're always stressing about something - like not spilling anything or disturbing the other pretentious guests... I don't know, I guess that's just not really my cup of tea."

"Hm, you make a good point. Maybe I'll consider it," Harry nodded after a thoughtful moment.

"Cool," I smiled and pushed myself away from the counter, ready to work. Harry did the same thing and we both went our separate ways.