Chapter 9

I surprised myself when I remembered the way to her house. Each twist and wind of her neighborhood was stunningly committed to memory. I'd only been over here once before. When her house came into view, I smiled to myself.

I pulled up beside her curb and put my car into park. I rummaged through my bag to find my phone for a few seconds before I got it. I dialed Camila's number like I always did, then put the phone to my ear. It rang for a few moments before I heard her pick up.

"Hi, Camz. Are you home?" I said instantly, not bothering to beat around the bush.

"Hi," she said, and she was smiling already. I could tell from the sound of her voice alone. "Yeah, why? "

"Good. I've got a surprise for you," I hinted, smiling wide as I glanced up at her window.

"A surprise? What kind of surprise?" Camila asked me and I heard her doing something in the background.

"It's a big surprise," I described it randomly, although it wasn't really.

"A big surprise, you say?" Camila reiterated goofily. "Care to spill the beans?"

I laughed freely into the phone and opened my car door. I swung my legs out first, but didn't really get out. My elbow rested on the steering wheel and I leaned against it briefly, wondering how I could tell her that I'd just shown up to her house straight from work.

"Why are you laughing?" Camila challenged. I could just picture the way she was standing. She probably had her hands on her hips and a dorky little scowl.

"I don't know, beans... Beans are funny," I shrugged to myself and closed the door, opting to go ahead and walk up to her front door.

"Okay... Weirdo," Camila giggled as well.

"You are equally as weird as I am, so hush. But can you do me a favor?" I asked softly, making up my mind. Her front steps were kind of steep, and I was just hoping I wouldn't fall.

"Anything for you," Camila affirmed sweetly. "What do you need?"

"Open the door for me?" I posed as I stood before her front door.

"Open the door?" Camila repeated in confusion. Just then, I rung her doorbell and heard it echo on the phone. "Are you serious?"

"I don't know, why don't you come find out?" I countered with a smirk, just waiting for the door to swing open.

Just then, I heard a lot of bumping and I figured she was running down the stairs. My suspicions were confirmed when the door flew open and I was met with a slightly out of breath Camila. She looked so cute wearing her baggy clothes. Her hair was up in a bun and she'd left a few strands out. All of which were just sticking out in every direction, flopping in front of her face.

"Surprise!" I broke out into a grin when she presented herself to me.

"Lauren!" Camila squealed and jumped on me. Her body latched onto mine and her legs wrapped around my waist. I hurried to get a grip on her to prevent her from sliding down and falling. "Hi."

"Hi," I matched her enthusiasm and securely grabbed under her thighs. She didn't look like she was getting down any time soon, so I wanted to keep her safe.

"You're here," Camila said in amazement.

"Yes. And damn, if I knew I'd be greeted like this, I would randomly show up at your house all the time," I said seriously as I pecked her on the cheek.

To my surprise, Camila captured my lips as soon as I looked at her again. With her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist, I didn't think it was such a good idea to be kissing. It would surely make me lightheaded, and then I might risk dropping her.