Chapter 18

For a split second, Taehyung was scared that Yoongi would attack Jungkook when he saw Yoongi stare at the younger man entering the den just behind Jimin. After all, it wouldn't be the first time that Yoongi went off on the younger, letting all his frustration and anger out on him. Even though Jungkook was a capable fighter himself, Taehyung knew that Jungkook would most likely take it whatever Yoongi threw his way and only defend himself rather than actually fight Yoongi back. It seemed strange to Taehyung, that Jungkook wouldn't retaliate, but then again, Jungkook had his reasons.

And all of Jungkook's decisions and reasons could be traced to one single source, and that source was Park Jimin.

Thankfully, Yoongi decided to simply turn his back to Jungkook and instead walked over to his bed, plopping down onto the blankets as he waited for the day's hunters to arrive with (hopefully) a large prey. Lately, they had only been eating smaller meats like chipmunks and squirrels, with a few foxes and wolverines now and then. There were simply not a lot of wolves that were put on the hunting team as most of the pack's usual hunters were instead patrolling in these critical times.

Taehyung watched as Namjoon reentered the den with Jimin hot on his heels and (thankfully) still in one piece, followed by Jungkook right behind.

With a hawk-like gaze, Taehyung traced his fellow human's steps with his eyes as Jimin walked towards his mate. Taehyung looked for any sign of emotion on Jimin's face that could inform him of what might have occurred outside the den between his mate and Jimin. However, Jimin didn't even look in Taehyung's direction, and didn't seem even one bit sorry for saying such hurtful things to Taehyung.

Before Taehyung could throw a tantrum, however, Namjoon plopped down next to him casually and embraced his mate like he always did when he returned home. Taehyung didn't know how to react, truthfully; Jimin's words from the morning, his "talk" with Yoongi, Namjoon's unease lately, everything made him confused and his head hurt.

Still, Taehyung could only follow the feelings simmering underneath his skin, and at that moment, those feelings were directed towards Jimin and they were not pleasant.

Jimin had not told the truth. He had only been vengeful, angry that his own mate didn't treat him as well as Taehyung's did with him.

Or at least that's what Taehyung told himself.

Because of how indifferent Jimin seemed when he entered the cave, sitting down next to his mate on the opposite side of the den, Taehyung couldn't help but immediately scoop closer to Namjoon, seeking his mate's warmth and comfort.

He couldn't help the relaxed sigh that escaped his lips when he felt Namjoon's nose softly run up and down his exposed neck, soothing the younger man. He didn't want Jimin to ruin his mood, not when his amazing mate gave him such an attractive alternative.

"I heard you had a fight with Jimin?" Namjoon asked softly, a few minutes later, when most of the remaining members of the pack had entered the den and were settling down in their own beds, waiting for the hunters to get back.

"I-It's nothing..." Taehyung mumbled, feeling his cheeks heat up as he knew that Namjoon was probably aware of everything that occurred earlier that day (as well as his talk with Yoongi). He felt embarrassed for talking about such controversial things yet again.

Yet Namjoon didn't seem particularly mad; instead, he seemingly focused on only Taehyung and his well-being, as he lifted his hand and gently massaged Taehyung's scalp.

"Mhm," Namjoon acknowledged, not pushing him further to Taehyung's surprise. He jumped on the opportunity of opting out of that topic, which Namjoon gave him, not wanting such negativity to surround him and his lover.