06. white roses

• DAMIAN •

• DAMIAN •

I stepped out of the car, barely able to hide the amused smile on my face as I approached Leon by the doors to the cathedral. Three of my men flanked at either side and behind, clearing the path from the flashing cameras and eager paparazzi crowding the way.

"I thought we were having a private sightseeing expedition." I muttered, settling beside him. "How on earth did they know we were coming?"

His lips quirked in an amused smirk — or an attempt of one. "It comes with the package, fratello. We move, they follow." Leon said, motioning for us to smile and wave at the flashing shutters of cameras before moving towards the entrance. There the reverend waited, a tight smile gracing his lips.

"Welcome to the Windsor Cathedrals," His voice strained out the words like he had regretfully rehearsed it. "Would you mind a tour of the grounds?"

Leon forced a smile and walked past the man in silence. I nodded at the man and followed Leon quietly. He didn't dare protest or make any remarks to our hearing. The Windsor Cathedrals was a frequent location for most of the family meetings but this time, we were utilizing it to plan for the remembrance of our fallen godforsaken older brother, Valerio.

We both dipped our fingers into the bowl set by the altar, making a sign of the cross from our heads to both sides of our chests. After watching Leon make a silent prayer of sorts, we finally settled at the highest floor of the great hall, overlooking the pews and meticulously carved statue of the virgin.

Leon rested his forearms against the metal banister and let out a sigh. "Father would be impressed by our choice, he's always loved commemorations in holy places."

I scoffed. "I wonder how a sinful man like himself could be so drawn to such beliefs."

"We all are," He turned to look at me and let a ghost of a smile hang on his lips. "At least, I am. It might seem hypocritical, but faith might be the only thing stopping some of us from going over the edge."

I watched him closely. Leon wasn't one to talk beyond necessary these days. He kept to himself, speaking to us when needed and when he wasn't in control but the look on his face as he spoke now, I could see little signs of the brother I used to know. "I doubt Father has the same ideology you have. His sins are beyond forgivable."

"We could say the same for ourselves." He stared ahead at the burning candles clustered below, "It's probably a sin that we're standing in here right now."

For a moment silence enveloped us. Until he cleared his throat and stood straight. "How's Dario holding up?"

"Worse than I anticipated." Which was an understatement. I'd seen Dario at his worst growing up. He was impulsive, sad, filled with anger and devastated on most days. But he was more upbeat now since our last meeting. "I think he's either on something or he's found an outlet for his frustrations."