32.

her heart was racing, she felt like she couldn't breathe as max tried to pick out the best outfit for her.

"they all suck, don't they?" her voice cracked, tears already spilling. "i'm going to lose already," she buried her head in her hands as she sobbed.

max dropped el's clothes and rushed to her. "hey, hey, no," she hugged her tightly from the side. "no, it's okay. it's just an outfit, el."

"but they're going to hate me... i should've bought an outfit," she cried quietly as she wiped her tears with the back of her hand. "i don't wanna go, max. i don't wanna see him..."

"don't worry, mike and i will be with you, okay? you're going to be just fine. and we practiced our questions so you'll do amazing," she assured her as el nodded weakly. "i... i think so... maybe.."

even after preparing questions with her lawyer, she still felt like she wasn't prepared enough.

she felt like she was going to be sick.

daisy slowly opened the door, her hands holding onto the doorknob as her feet lifted an inch off the ground. "hi mommy,"

el began to smile widely. "hi, little bug," her arms opened and daisy fell back down to the ground before rushing into el's arms.

daisy snuggled into el's arms, leaning into her chest comfortably. "love you, mama,"

el kissed the top of her head. "i love you more." she whispered and brushed through daisy's hair. "mommy has to get ready though, sit right here, okay?" el set her aside and daisy nodded with a proud smile.

"where you go, mommy?" daisy asked and el paused right as she reached for the outfit max handed her.

"just a meeting, baby," she whispered. "don't worry about it,"

daisy pouted a little. "will you come back?"

el gasped inaudibly. "of course i will! baby heart, mommy will be back so soon that you won't even remember i left—"

"i remem— re— re.." daisy trailed off quietly when she couldn't pronounce it.

"remember?" el helped her gently and daisy nodded.

"yes... i always," she whispered and el nodded, cupping her cheeks. "i know, baby heart. mommy will come back, i promise you. then tonight, we can all cuddle in bed, baby bug."

daisy instantly smiled from ear to ear and nodded rapidly. "okay, okay!"

el pressed kisses to her cheek standing up.

daisy instantly covered her eyes. "not looking,"

el laughed, changing into the outfit as max searched for some shoes.

once el buttoned up the black cardigan, she turned to max and smiled weakly. "i look... okay, right?"

"you look amazing," max smiled. "put these shoes on. you look like a beautiful mom,"

"i am a mom..."

"yes but you're like..." max tapped her chin. "what do they call it? milf! that's right—"

el covered her mouth. "i am— that is not appropriate," she eyed daisy who stared at them with her eyes wide innocently.

max giggled beneath her palm and el pulled back with a shake of her head and a small amused smile.

"okay, baby bear," el placed her hands under daisy's arms and lifted her up. "go play with your brother?"

daisy nodded as she leaned against el's chest and max opened the door for them for el to carry her through.