Chapter 1

Wind rustled the leaves of the trees, leaffall drawing nearer. A small gray tabby padded through the dying grass, the usually bright and perky stems brown and wilting from the cold. The tabby held a bundle of herbs in his jaw, the delicious aroma making his mouse water as he walked through the forest. Suddenly he stumbled, dropping the bundle of herbs on the ground. 
  "Mouse dung!" He spat angrily, shaking his paw. Blood spattered from his pad, and on the ground lay a sharp stone, now glistening with drops of blood where it had sliced him. Sniffing his paw rapidly, he gave it a few quick licks to clear the blood away.
  "Stupid rocks," he muttered, sniffing the ground in search of the sharp stone. Grabbing it between his teeth, he dropped it down a rabbit hole.
  "Great StarClan, that hurt! I'm going to have a word with Dustpelt about clearing these away!" He growled. Picking up the bundle once more, his tail swishing against the dead and dry leaf litter, he continued on his way.

  "Jaypaw!" A familiar voice called out to him as he padded through the tunnel into his Clan's camp.
  "Bring Daisy some borage for her milk. Rosekit an Toadkit get bigger each day. Soon they'll be able to eat fresh-kill!" Leafpool, the Clan's Medicine Cat and Jaypaw's mentor meowed.
  Jaypaw hissed around the bundle in his jaw. Could he even get into camp without being given yet another task? His annoyance rising, he padded into the Medicine den to drop the bundle at Leafpool's paws.
  "Oh, good! You found usable catmint. I was worried this late in leaffall they'd be dried and unusable!" She meowed happily.
  "Yeah, whatever," Jaypaw meowed grumpily, padding to the store of herbs for borage. Sniffing along the store until he came to the cool smelling, hairy leaves, he picked up a few of the borage in his mouth and carried it out of the Medicine den into the main part of camp. By the Highledge, Sandstorm was having a discussion with Firestar,  ThunderClan's Leader, and Brambleclaw,  Jaypaw's own father about hunting patrols. By the Apprentice den, Dustpelt lectured Foxpaw about not cleaning the nursery, and by the Elders' den Mousefur groomed Longtail. Jaypaw made his way to the nursery where Ferncloud was sitting in a pool of sunshine grooming herself. Dropping the borage on the ground, Jaypaw turned to Ferncloud.
  "Is Daisy in there?" He asked, tilting his head towards the opening of the nursery. Soft meowing answered him.
  "Yes," Millie meowed, squeezing through the entrance. Her belly was swollen with the kits to come, Graystripe's second litter.
His first litter had been with Silverstream, a cat from Riverclan. She had died bearing his two kits, Stonefur and Feathertail. Feathertail died, however, saving Crowfeather of WindClan from Sharptooth, a big cat in the mountains. She had killed him, but at the cost of her own life. That had been on the journey to Sun-Drown-Place, to find the lake and its surrounding territories. Squirrelflight, Jaypaw's own mother, had been on that journey alongside Bramble
Brambleclaw. Tawnypelt, Brambleclaw's sister, had also been there to represent ShadowClan. Now, next to Millie, Jaypaw felt as if he would never have the happiness that she and Graystripe had. Picking up the herbs once more, he squeezed past the heavy queen and into the darkness of the nursery. The warm scent of milk wreathed around him over the cool smell of the borage, bringing back memories from his kithood.
  "Daisy, why is he just staring like that?" A small voice mewed. Jaypaw recognized Toadkit's scent, mingled with Rosekit and Daisy's.
  "Hush, don't be rude Toadkit. Are those for me, Jaypaw?" Daisy asks, sniffing at the borage that Jaypaw still held.
  "Yes," he meowed, dropping the leaves at Daisy's paws and taking a step back.
  "Hey, why are you just staring, Jaypaw?" Rosekit piped up, encouraged by Toadkit's brashness.
  "Kits!" Daisy chided.
  "No, it's okay Daisy," Jaypaw meowed. Bending his head towards the kits, he stared right at them.
  "Wanna know why I stare like this?" He meowed at the two kits.
  "Y-yes," Toadkit mewed, his voice frightened.
  "I'm blind." Jaypaw meowed aggressively.