Chapter 5 - Girl, Don't Go Away Mad

Rehab? Done. Still rock to the day they'll die? Hell, yeah. The now-clean Mötley Crüe returned to the roots of rock 'n' roll with their 5th album Dr. Feelgood in 1989. Months before the album's release, Nikki gets help from his bandmates to rebuild his friendship with Melody... the backstory on how they produced the track "Don't Go Away Mad."

🎵

March 28th, 1989 – 1 year and 2 months later...

The small steps to sobriety and rehabilitation took a lot of effort to get Mötley Crüe back on track, however, I'm grateful to be keeping this recorded in my diary because I have no idea how I survived being on the road with them all. I came back home to Chicago only to cry and rage and scream. How can one girl who's never taken drugs, or drinks when need be and still be single take on so much?

My one question will be about their change. It's been nothing but drugs, alcohol, sex, girls, mayhem, and non-stop trouble.

One year later, still residing back in old Chicago, I came home to our answering machine having a red button flash on.

"You have one message. Message one," the operator said and let off a small beep in response, followed by my voicemail. "This is Raewood residence. If you hear this message, then we're not home. Please leave a message or my mom will go nuts."

Another beep followed.

"Hey, Melody. It's Nikki."

SHIT!

The plan for rehab and sobriety and Doug's promise to call me back once they got out.

I didn't hear anything since they started but he called to check how they were and asked about family. All I've done is return to my normal life and not deal with rock stars night after night.

But I did not expect Nikki Sixx to call.

"Hope you're okay," he said. "I know this sounds stupid. Well... to you, it may be, hearing this from a guy who has been through a lot of shit over the last few years."

His voice, tainted by the effects of heroin, echoed in my ears...

"Why don't you go back to Chicago and just go away, Mel? YOU CARE... SO MUCH, DON'T YOU?!"

"I CARE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!"

"Please help me, Melody."

I almost blacked out, my body trembling from the memories of what had transpired between us.

"Good news, we're out of rehab now. We're in Vancouver, making a new record called Dr. Feelgood," Nikki added, accompanied by a small chuckle. "If you're not too busy, you wanna hang out with us? I mean... it's up to you. Just know that I miss you. Vince, T-bone, and Mick said hi. Call me back, okay?"

The beep signalled the end of the message. I stood there, stunned and confused, unable to find the words to respond. Each word he spoke caused my heart to ache. Despite being in my hometown, Chicago, I felt an overwhelming sense of homesickness. Tears streamed down my face uncontrollably, my cheeks turning a faded pink as my heart skipped a beat. Without hesitation, I grabbed my car keys, nearly stumbling in my rush, and dashed out the door to catch the next flight to Canada.

🎵