Chapter. 46

Azriel

So many injured. Wings shredded, guts dangling out, faces mauled. It was gruesome, and it was still only the beginning. Hybern had surprised us once again. They had old magic, spells that allowed them to take advantage.

I hardly saw my brothers after I left Adria and returned to the fray. Once Hybern had begun it's retreat we were all called to the Illyrian camp nearby. When I did find them relief began to settle in. Cassian was limping, but assured me he was fine. Rhysand was overseeing the camp, reviewing the new information I was receiving, and checking in with commanders.

Adria was in the healers tent. She had to be close to a burnout, but I knew I couldn't convince her to pause. I heard every whisper in the camp and out. She had used her powers and so many took notice. The amount of information I received on her now made it impossible to hide her abilities. Witch, demon, Shadowsinger... They were labeling her a Shadowsinger. Which was a label I was most comfortable with. If other knew she was something more powerful, deadly, and ancient... To the world of Prythian, she was a Shadowsinger. It made Rhysand and the Night Court appear more powerful, with two Shadowsingers under his command. Which we agreed was a better alternative to the truth.

The King of Hybern showed part of his hand today. Rhysand had shown me his encounter with Hybern. He offered him to join him, just as he had offered Adria. But the King's offer to Adria was different... I heard what the King said. He wanted her. He wanted what was mine... He shown his interest in my Mate. For that thought alone I wanted to rip this world apart. I will not stop until he is within my grasp. And then I would simply subdue him while Adria did with him however, she pleased. I knew how much she wanted to be the one to end his life. And this was a wish I would happily gift.

I had my scouts feeding me any and every bit of information there was on the king, Summer Court, Spring Court, and the human lands. Some of the information was old and now we knew was incorrect. I needed the new information and needed it now.

I was just finishing up with my scouts when Cassian entered with a nearly unconscious Adria.

"I'd figure you'd want her in here with you" Cassian was no longer limping and even though his Illyrian armor still showed signs of battle, his body did not. "She healed as many as she could, me included." Cassian said as he passed her over to me.

"I" she said beginning to stir awake when I eased her back to rest. I could feel her body relax in my arms.

"Thank you, brother" I smiled.

"Az..." Cassian looked between Adria now asleep in my arms and me. "I'm happy for you." He smiled so bright and proud. "It has been too long since I've seen you so... alive".

"She still has yet to accepted me..." worry escaped in those words as I confided in my brother. "What if-"

"She will" Cassian interrupted and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Handsome male like you" he winked and gripped my shoulder. "She's not a fool"

"Cass" I didn't laugh or smile, I knew that's what he tried to do like always. His lighthearted nature and brutal honesty didn't work when my fear was so real.

"Give her time" Cassian answered, he said nothing more and left. I went to the back part of my tent where I made sure there was a bed and enough furs for her. I placed her down gently and sat beside her. Her hair was in a long braid, it was matted with mud, sweat and blood. Her face splattered with dried blood and healing signs of bruises. I grabbed a washcloth and gently wiped off the remnants of today's battle. I also inspected her calf, the angry red flesh had already began to heal itself. She would still be limping when she woke up. Surprisingly she slept through it all. I left her to rest as My scouts enter with new information.