Chapter 5-Talking Hats and Surprise Calls

Percy POV

Professor McGonagall lead us into the magnificent castle to be 'sorted'. She walked up with us waiting behind. People were giving me weird looks and some were laughing like me standing here was a joke. I gave a sheepish grin.

McGonagall walked out with a old looking hat and set it on a stool. I looked at it in confusion when it started singing. When I say singing I mean it opened its mou-seams and went into a made up song about the school. It was, terrifying. I'm sad to say it but its true.

McGonagall grabbed a parchment(which I found out they use along with quills and ink!) and read off names. Once everyone was sorted I was relieved by the fact I don't take a test.

"This year we will be having an exchange student. He will be staying the year to hel-see how our school is. Welcome Perseus Jackson!" Dumbledore introduces and I walk up. I sit on the small stool and they put the hat on me. It started talking, in my head. I will admit it, I flinched.

Ahh yes. Tom Riddle's Grandson and  Laura Jackson, as she was married to Jim Jackson, correct?

Yes

You are quite difficult. You are very brave but still very loyal. You can be extremely cunning and your roots bring back to Slytherin-

No. I don't want any relation with my grandfather.

Ok. You would be great in Slytherin. Heir of Salazar too-

Not Slytherin. Anything but it.

You have your share of brains but again brave and loyal. I think you would be good in-

"GRYFFINDOR!" The red table cheered-well excluding Ron and Harry- they looked really confused. I walked to the table and people shook my hand or congratulated me. I sat down by Ginny and unfortunately Harry.

"I would like to say a few words-" I tuned out. I looked at my empty plate with longing. I wanted some smoked brisket or a barbecue in remembrance of Camp.

"-let the feast begin!" Food appeared on plates covering the table.

"W-wow." I dug in. Hermione looked at me and Ron looked at her and rolled his eyes.

"That was made from slavery!" She bursts. I drop the food.

"WHAT!" I practically yell. Slavery? I can't eat slaved food.

"The house elves prepare our meals and she thinks its slavery because they don't get paid." Ron sighs.

"So? Do they have a choice?" Hermione says. They start arguing. I look at the food. I should thank them after the meal.

"How do I get to the kitchen?" I ask, interrupting their argument. Hermione looks at me funny and I take another bite.

"I will, um, show you." She says unsurely. We eat the feast until all of it vanishes. Me and Hermione go to the kitchens after she tells Ron to lead the first years. Thank gods she knows the password, I think. We walk up to a portrait of fruit and she, tickles a pear.

"Are you tickling a pear?"

"Yes." She says stiffly. It opens surprisingly. This all is going to need some getting used to. We walk into the kitchen. the first thing I notice is all the elves  walking around. They look at Hermione and me then bow. I unsurely bow back. they back up in surprise and Hermione laughs.

"What?"

"You're pretty clueless. They aren't used to being treated equally. You just treated them equally."