Chapter 03

Kalia's POV

As I got ready for the race, I quickly sent an email to the agency that was going to take care of my house so they could see it tomorrow morning. I had wanted to sell it for quite a while now, and this seemed like the perfect moment, considering that I now had a plan. Sure, it would take a few weeks, but if my plan goes right, I won't need the money from this house, and I'll have plenty by the end of Friday. So, it can take as long as it needs to.

I took a deep breath and looked around. Only my bed was in the room, along with two bedside tables. I didn't own much; my plan was never to stay in here. One day, I will find a home, and I will decorate and make it mine, but this wasn't the one. There were too many bad memories held in this country. I needed this plan to work to get away from the hell that took over my life.

Returning to the closet, I chose black jeans, a white T-shirt with a deep V-neckline, a black leather jacket, and my knee-high black heeled boots over the jeans. I was ready for a ride as a passenger. It had been a while since I wore this kind of clothing. I was used to office attire, and when I went to watch a race, I typically dressed in a hoodie and loose jeans to avoid drawing unnecessary attention.

I looked good. The jeans accentuated my figure, making my breasts and curves stand out. Despite not showing much skin, it exuded a sexy vibe.

Stepping outside, a warm breeze carried the scent of fish and chips, a common aroma in the city. The smell of weed lingered in the air too. Although I've always preferred the countryside over urban areas, I can't deny the convenience of living in a town with easy access to everything.

I scanned the area for Oscar's car, a white Subaru. Soon, I heard the rumble of his engine and saw him flashing his lights.

"You look hot. If I'd known what was hiding under those baggy hoodies, I would've asked you to be my ride-along ages ago," he said as soon as I opened the door, his eyes raking over me.

"First off, no thanks! We're friends, but I can still kick your ass, so knock it off. It's cringy and weird. Second, I couldn't have been your ride-along since you were banned, and you know I hate reckless drivers," I replied, rolling my eyes and settling into the car's comfortable seat.

He grinned at me, "I apologize for dragging you into this and using my 'favor' like this, but it means a lot to me. Can you imagine, after all these years, getting back into it?" His voice was full of excitement.

I glanced at him, and for a moment, he took his eyes off the road to meet my gaze. "I'm glad you're back. I can't wait to finally see you in action."

"Trust me, you'll see why they called me Champion," he replied, his attention shifting back to the road. There was no music playing because Oscar always believed the car's engine was the best soundtrack.

As I stared at the road ahead, I gathered the courage to speak. "I need your help to make some quick money. I've got a plan; I just need you to have my back."

He shot me a confused glance, then focused back on the road, before turning to look at me with a shocked expression.

*

We arrived at an old dismantling yard that had been turned into a closed race circuit. Oscar parked his car and handed his keys to a guard for inspection. They always checked the cars for any modifications that could give someone an edge in the race.

As we walked to the entrance, I took in the scene around us. Piles of old, wrecked cars were stacked up high, and some people were climbing on them, shouting random names. The dim glow of streetlights, the blaring music, and the rumble of engines all mixed together, creating a chaotic but exciting atmosphere.