Chapter 4

I take his hand, bewildered that this is happening. They still have a more upbeat song playing, so we go to find the rest of Gus's friends. I didn't feel like hanging out with them, so I excused myself to the punch bowl. After a while, I start to panic. If I told Gus how I felt about him, and he rejected me, it would make everything awkward. I wanted to start bawling. Instead, I down another cup of punch and start looking for Gus. Fifteen minutes later, I still can't find him. There's a slow song on, which means The Grom royalty is going to be sent down soon. Finally, I see him sitting on the bleachers by himself. I offer him a cup of punch and sit down. "Where's everyone else?" I ask, trying to sound casual. "Willow was announced Grom Queen this morning, so hunter is trying to console her before she gets sent to battle it," Gus drones. "Luz and Amity are off making the most of the slow song, and I'm kind of sick of being the third wheel." I scoff, "Why don't you just get a date? Half of hexide is in love with you." It was true; not that long ago there were guys and girls alike all lined up to ask him out. Gus sighs. "It's not that simple. There was someone I asked this year, but he didn't get the hint." I felt the bats in my stomach again. I didn't know he already asked someone. Who was it even? Outside of his friends, Gus hardly talked to anyone. "Damn. You never told me that. Who's the lucky guy?" He looked away. "I don't really want to talk about it." I couldn't help but feel a little hurt that he didn't want to tell me. I decided I would not sit in silence on the bleachers for all of Grom night, so I reach out for Gus's hand.

Gus looked at me like I was crazy. "The song is almost over. can't you wait until Grom has been defeated?" I take his hand and laughed. "Absolutely not. You are going to dance with me Agustus Porter, and you are going to enjoy it." I pull him onto the dance floor, but neither of us really know what to do. The song was good though. One of my favorites actually. 'Mrs. Magic by strawberry guy.' I glance around at other couples for reference. I try putting my hands on Gus's shoulders, but we both burst out laughing. Instead we hang out by the punch bowl, cracking jokes the whole time. after a while, Gus starts looking really nervous. He hasn't said anything for a while, so I lightly tap his shoulder. "You okay?" The question feels weird, as if I wasn't supposed to say anything. "I'm fine, I'm just worried about Willow. She could die today Matt." I could see tears welling up in his eyes as his voice shook slightly. "She'll be okay. Willow is tough, and she has you and everyone else to back her up." Gus trembles. "I know, but we've been friends since forever, so I can't help but worry." He starts to cry, and I let him, silently wrapping my arm around his shoulders. "Thanks, Matt," Gus says after a moment. "I mean it." I pat his back awkwardly. "Anytime dude, anytime."

Willow and Hunter ended up defeating Grom together, with some help of Luz and her glyphs. Almost everyone had left the gymnasium, so I sat outside on the steps. Gus sits down next to me. "Hey," he says. I glance at him. "Hey. The stars are beautiful tonight." He says something under his breath. "Yeah," he sighs. here was something about the night that was enchanting. I loved watching the stars. The moons were full, and the air was crisp. I reach for Gus's hand. Our fingers intertwine, and I lean my head on his shoulder. I look him in the eyes, and now I understand the concept of 'eye contact'. I hold his gaze for what feels like eternity. Gus leans closer to me, and my head spins. My hand goes to his face, and in that fleeting moment, I kiss him. My eyes close. This isn't really happening. It's not real. But as I pull away, this is more real than I have ever felt. "Wow," sighs Gus. "Wow," I repeat. I felt stupid, and crazy, but also so alive. Gus breaks into a wild grin, and I can't help but smile as well. "You know," he says, "that was a little gay." I laugh so hard I can hardly breathe, and I kiss him again. This felt so new, and so beautiful. We stay and watch the stars for a while, breathing in the moment. "I think I love you Matty," Gus whispers.

"Yeah, me too."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YIPPEE THANK YOU SM FOR THE READS THIS MIGHT BE THE END BUT IF I GET ENOUGH SUPPORT I'LL TRY TO MAKE MORE CHAPTERS <33

(838 words)