Chap 8

It's a free day for the both of them. The first in what seems like years to Twyla, and what probably is years for Zarina. So, Zarina grabs a few swords from her room and the pair take off for the day. It's been so long, but it's like a riding a bike or flying, Twyla remembers. She twirls the sword around, standing across from her mother. Zarina just smiles, raises her own sword in opposition. It's an easy back-and-forth and in no time, the both of them are laughing. Twyla lunges forward and flicks her wrist, knocking the sword out of Zarina's hand. The older fairy smiles, clapping in congratulations. Twyla folds into a mock-bow, sword to one side, the other arm folded at her waist.

"Mum, do you ever wish we were bigger?" Twyla asks as they take a break for lunch. She settles herself up onto a tree root, smiling as her mother passes her a cheese sandwich.

Zarina's brow raised: "Bigger?"

"Yes, bigger. Not just-barely-five-inches. More ... maybe ... clumsy-sized?" Zarina just sighed, rubbing her brow. Before she can get a word out, Twyla's speaking again. "I just mean, if we were bigger, maybe we wouldn't be so helpless. Clumsies aren't magic, but they're big. If we weren't so small ... well." A small shrug lifted her shoulders.

"Twy, even I don't know how to do that with pixie dust."

"But maybe there's something on the island. There was the Moonstone. and the Mirror of Incanta. Maybe there's something else like that that could make me big."

Zarina dusts off her hands, pushing herself up next to her daughter on the root.

"You really want this?"

"I don't want to ever be defenseless like I was on the Isle again."

"You don't have to go back there, Twyla."

"They're my friends, whether you want to believe it or not. And I want to see them again."

Zarina draws in a breath then lets it out lowly, then smiles tightly, squeezing Twyla's hands.

"Maybe one of the storytelling fairies know about something like that, but you can go ask them tomorrow, " A smile draws onto Zarina's face. "And, even if there isn't, I have a gift that might help with that feeling."

Twyla raises a brow, watching the other hop back down from the root and pull something out that had been hidden behind a small pile of rocks. Twisting it in her hands, she points the tip of a shining silver sword towards Twyla.

A loud gasp leaves the light-fairy and she leaps down. Zarina turns the hilt of the sword to Twyla, letting her grab it. The younger bounces on her feet, beaming widely. Turning away from her mother, Twyla gives a few test jabs with the sword. When she whips back around to Zarina, she flings her arms around the dust-fairy.

"Thank you thank you thank you!"

—— §

It's the earliest she's been up in ages, but she darts through the dust distribution centre in mere seconds before she's zipping towards the Fairy Tale Theatre. She bursts through the door, glowing brightly. A few of the storytelling fairies glance briefly towards her, eyebrows raised. Some look familiar, others are complete mysteries. Probably new arrivals from when she was away. Either way, Twyla ignores them, seeking out a specific fairy.

And - there he is!

"Copper!"

A sparrowman with vibrant platinum hair and tired blue eyes glanced away from his notepad at the sound of his name being called. Seconds later, Twyla was hovering right in front of his face. It took a second, but his tired eyes lit up as he recognised her.