Chap 9

As it turns out, getting pixie dust is not as easy as one might think. Zarina's work was far too important to ask to borrow some from her's. The only choice is the distribution centre. Twyla had cleared as much of the dust from her wings and body she could. There was only one way she was getting another scoop of dust today and that was if Saffron wasn't working. She strolled inside the tree, flattening her hands down the skirt of her sunflower dress. Luck was not on her side today and Saffron frowns as Twyla walks over.

"You've already had your's, Twylie," she says, voice clipping. Twyla just grins, clasps her hands together as she steps up in front of the dust-talent fairy. Saffron doesn't react, still frowning at her. Twyla's shoulders flop, pushing her tongue against the backs of her sharp teeth.

"Come on, Saffron, just gimme this one thing."

Saffron squints: "Well, what'dya want it for?"

Twyla shifts awkwardly, gnawing on her lip.

"An adventure," she whispers, quick and quiet. Saffron bristles.

"An adventure?" she repeats, irritation obvious in her voice.

"An adventure!" another voice shouts from behind, then Elspeth shoots up beside them, grinning wide. "Really, Twyla?" Twyla grins wide in response.

"Yes!" Then she cast a long glance towards Saffron, "Or I was going on an adventure."

Elspeth sweeps Saffron's hands up into her own, swinging the dust-fairy around: "Come on, Saffy! It's an adventure!"

Saffron groaned and looks between the other two fairies. Pulling her hands back to herself, she crossed her arms. She squints at Twyla. Twyla beams, hands clasping together in a pleading way. Saffron sighs, rubbing her brow with a dust-covered hand.

"If you want me to help you, then you're taking me with you, Twyla Lune."

Elspeth bounced: "Oh! Me too, me too!"

Saffron and Elspeth both turn towards Twyla, waiting. The light-fairy hummed, then claps her hands together.

"Sure! Why not, right? More the merrier!"

Elspeth squeaks, Saffron just rolled her eyes, but there was a brighter sparkle about her now. The fairy dips down to scoop up another cup of dust, twisting it in her hands. She pauses in front of Twyla.

"What are we doing anyway?" Twyla reaches forward, grabbing Saffron's hands around the cup.

"We're gonna find the Cantata Necklace."

—— §

"You really think we're going to find the Cantata Necklace? That thing's been lost for decades!"

Saffron's been laughing for the last five minutes, yet she's still following along behind Twyla and Elspeth as they fly off towards Copper's house, high in the trees. Twyla's ignoring her, it seems like the easiest thing. The dust-fairy's word still linger in her mind though. If the ravens didn't know where the necklace was, than no doubt it was a hopeless mission. She shook the words away, she had to find this necklace. She had to.

Copper's little box house isn't all that far from the Theatre. Twyla barely lands a couple of knocks on the door before she's zipping inside, Elspeth on her heels. Saffron waits politely at the door, stifling her chuckles and hiking her bag higher on her shoulder. Copper flashes a smile towards the girls, clipping up his own satchel.

"Found some more companions, huh, Twy?" he says, glancing behind her towards the others. Elspeth is still beaming, barely able to keep her own feet on the ground. At that, Saffron finally steps in and grabs her by the back of her shirt to pull her down to the floor.

"We're gonna need to save our pixie dust if we want it to last, so quit wasting it by flying around like that," she snaps, glowering slightly as she notices Elspeth's wings still fluttering slightly. In turn, Elspeth quickly freezes up, wings starkly frozen. Twyla turns back towards Copper, stilling her own wings to defend herself from Saffron's wrath.

"Have we got everything we need?"

"Well, I've got food, but I don't know how long it'll last," he frowns, looking down at his satchel. Twyla, on the other hand, grins.

"Well, I know how to cook, and we can no doubt find food on the way."

The small room was then quickly filled with light. Everyone was glowing, even Saffron despite the ever-present frown on her face. Then, Twyla's face falls and she wrings her hands out. Copper and Elspeth note this instantly, both taking a step closer to her, waiting an explanation.

"Well, there's just one itty-bitty problem left." Everyone's still paused, slight twitches in their wings. "Mum. Zarina. I'm gonna have to convince her somehow."

Elspeth throws an arm around Twyla's shoulders.

"Oh that's no problem! It's Zarina! She's the 'pirate fairy', Twy." A small smile grows on Twyla's face and she flits in the air for a second before Saffron reaches out to yank her back to the floor.

"No flying!"

—— §

After an agonising walk down the tree with more than one slip up where Elspeth almost falls from the branches, they finally make it back to Zarina's house. As Twyla steps inside, Copper, Elspeth and Saffron stay outside, peering in through the doorway, not willing to walk into the dust-filled madhouse where Zarina worked. Twyla's all too used to it. As Zarina sees her, she smiles and ushering the girl closer.

"Here, come look at this! A dust for light-talent. Give a test for me, huh?" she says, her request more of a demand as she drops the pouch into Twyla's hand. Shortly after, she's ushering Twyla back outside. Zarina gives a wave to signal Twyla on, beaming excitedly as she waits. Twyla takes a moment to look back at her companions, then towards Zarina. With that, she takes a long breath in, then flutters up into the air. Dipping her hand into the bag, she tosses a handful the bright yellow-white dust into the air above her, letting it sprinkle down over her head.

She sneezes.

When she opens her eyes, she blinks. It's ... bright. Incredibly bright. Looking down at herself, she realises she's glowing. More than she ever had before! It's as if all light is drawn to her. She sucks in light and the world around her seems dimmer. An excited laugh leaves Zarina. Saffron, Copper and Elspeth simply stare at her in wonder. Twyla just twists back and forth, the light follows her, but not without that dark cloud right on the edge of her aura. Then, balls of light start bunching upon her. They stick to her dress and her arms and her hair, like glowing lightballs clinging to her.

She reaches over and plucks one off her arm. A picture perfect lightball that would be nigh impossible for a light-talent fairy so out of practice like herself. Yet, there she is. Holding one in the palm of her hand, and they're stuck all over her. With so many, there'd be no doubt they could fill all the firefly orders today and for the next week with no problems!

Twyla drops back to the ground, shaking off the rest of the lightballs and they tinkle to the ground with the sound of little bells. She and Elspeth are quick to grab them up, their arms quickly filling with them. When Saffron and Copper move to help, unfortunately, the lightballs simply burst with a twist of glowing light.

As she shifted the lightballs in her arms, she glances over at her mother. She gnawed her bottom lip. Well, this certainly wasn't going to be easy. Zarina was still grinning, grabbing the bag of dust from Twyla's hands.

"This is great!" Zarina cried, clipping the dust bag back up. Looking at Twyla, her smile faultered a moment. "What's wrong?"

"Mum, can we ... talk for a moment?"