Chap 5

Leaving Uma and Gil as look-outs, Harry snuck across the ship. Getting the three of them across the ship wouldn't be easy. Hook was supposed to be working tonight, so they should be fine. Still, there were too many dangerous aspects when sneaking across the deck: the creaking boards, the lacking hiding places. It was easy to just leave them on watch while he broke into his father's room. Finally, Harry reaches the cabin door and kneels in front of the door, starting to pick the lock. This isn't as easy as he thought it would be, and certainly not easy without the right tools. In his concentration, he doesn't notice the squeak of the floorboard.

"You awful whelp!"

Harry barely has a moment to turn before he feels the cold sharp sting of his father's hook across his cheek. The weight of it sends him crashing against the door, breaking the lock and knocking him to the ground inside. He fumbles into a sitting position, blue eyes wide and staring at Hook. He can feel something damp and sticky slipping down his cheek. When he touches it, his fingers come back red. His stomach twists, a tremble shutters his shoulders.

On the desk behind him, he can hear the battering of Twyla's fists against the glass. Hook just stalks closer, his hook at the ready. His blue eyes are fiery with rage, his curly dark hair a frazzled mess around his face.

"What do you think you're doing!?" As he approaches Harry, he raises his hook high. Twyla's shrill shrieks fill the room, she batters around inside the lantern. Just as his hook is about to come down, Uma slides into the room, sword raised high, stopping the hook in his track. Gil crashes in behind her, though far less gracefully. He quickly grabs Harry by the arm and yanking him up.

There a look of panic in Uma's eyes as she briefly glances back at the boys. Opposite her, Hook's expression is filled with rage. Harry, now standing, reaches back to grab the lantern then shoves Gil towards the door.

"Run!" He shouts and grabs Uma by the arm to pull her along with him. Hook takes another swing, burying his hook in the wooden doorframe, bare inches above Uma's head. They run for ages, until the sound of Hook screaming fades out and until there is practically no light with the exception of Twyla, still glowing brightly in the lantern. When they finally stop, they are standing on one of the farthest edges of the beach.

Breathing heavily, they stop and droop over, panting.

Eventually, they get their breath back and they set the lantern atop a rock, opening the lock. Twyla wobbles out, her glow a little dim and her wings a little tweaked. She shakes the dizziness off then shoots into the air, hovering around Harry's face. Her high bell ringing of her voice is panicked and she reaches her hands out for his cheek. He winces as she touches the cut, the blood just beginning to coagulate. Her tiny hands come back covered in blood. Everything about her is trembling.

"It's fine, love," he says, lifting up a hand and Twyla settles into his palm. Her hands leave tiny red handprints on his palm. As she looks up at him, he can see her dark eyes are filled with golden tears. When she blinks, they spill down her face, dripping off her chin. "You okay?" He asks and she just nods, wiping her face.

The four of them are quiet for a long while before, eventually, Twyla's turns her gaze towards the horizon. There's a heavy silence and then a collective quiet sigh leaves them.

"You have to leave ... don't you?" Gil asks, finally breaking the silence. Uma's jaw sets tightly and she blinks quickly, looking away. Twyla stands up in Harry's palm. Her eyes are still filled with dewy golden tears that spill down her cheeks as she nods. "Will you come back?"

"Gil..." Harry starts quietly, but he's stopped at Twyla shoots up in front of Gil's face, nodding wildly. They sit for a while. Uma cleans up Harry's face while Twyla flutters around them. Gil lounges beside them, half-heartedly skipping rocks across the ocean's surface. Eventually, the sun breaks the horizon and they know it's time.

They all stand. They don't cry. You don't cry on the isle.

( at least not in front of people. )

Twyla cries though, then draws in a shaky deep breath. She turns, flies a few feet, then turns back and presses a quick kiss to the cheek of each pirates. She smiles tearily and then she's gone, a glittery glowing dot that disappears over the ocean. There's a brief glimmer of green from the barrier and they know, shoulders slumping. Uma and Gil go home. Harry spends the night sleeping on the street with a bunch of other wharf-rats after refusing Uma and Gil's offers.