48 | Reuniting and Planning

"I'm almost ready!" Vivienne said as she put in her earrings, rushing towards the front door.

"You don't need to rush," James laughed. "It's just you and me going to dinner, we aren't meeting anyone."

"I know it's just that I haven't left the house since... you know." She shook her head at the thought of the poor strangers. "I just want to make it up to you. Starting with us not being late."

"You don't need to make it up to me. But if you feel uneasy any second of tonight just tell me and we'll come straight back here."

"Don't worry, I'll be fine James."

"Okay, but still," He nodded and finished tying his tie. "That dress looks really good on you by the way."

She looked down at her red dress. "It's kind of short."

James smiled and looked away like he didn't notice. "That's fine. It looks great anyways."

——

The two walked out of the restaurant, hand in hand and laughing. "He really did that?" Vivienne giggled.

"Yep, I told you Sirius is a drama queen." James chuckled, shaking his head at the memory. His smile then grew into a frown when he saw a particular blonde guy staring at them from across the street. "Viv, do you know that guy?"

She squinted, trying to see past the darkness. "Oh my fucking god," She put her hand on her chest to stop her heart from beating out of it. "It's Carter."

"Carter as in your ex-boyfriend Carter?"

"Yes, and as in the fucking murderer."

"Wait, what?"

They faced each other. "I'll explain when we're home."

James nodded, but before they could walk away Carter was right in front of them. He had a beard now, and his eyes were more sullen than when she had last saw. "Hello, Astor. Potter."

"Goyle."

Carter raised his eyebrows. "Cute dress." James stepped closer to him. "Ooh, calm down mate. Just making conversation."

"What do you want?" Vivienne scoffed.

Carter's sour expression turned desperate.

And he asked Vivienne something she'd never have expected to be asked by him.

"Do you ever think about me?"

She laughed. "What?"

"You know, do you ever feel sorry for... you know?"

She laughed again. "Carter, the only time I ever think about you... is when I think about how good it would feel to see you behind bars."

Carter shook his head. "No be- be serious."

"I'm being deadly serious," She held James' hand. "Now if you don't mind, my fiancé and I are going to go home."

They began to leave. "You're engaged?"

"That is why she called me her fiancé," James remarked.