Chapter Seventeen (Murder House)

October 2011

Friday

Vivien pours herself some coffee as Constance knocks her back door and enters, carrying a small plate with two cupcakes on it '' Avon calling. ''

'' Oh, Constance. Now's not a good time. '' Vivien gives her a false smile. '' I just wanted to bring these by as a little peace offering...for Addy disturbing your slumber. '' Constance says.

'' Thank you. '' Vivien nods. '' I think I'm gonna have to start strapping her in at night again. She's been better, you know, with Katherine around, but she was here when Addy broke in, so...'' Constance trails off.

'' Um, well, I appreciate it. I'm not usually much of a cupcake girl myself, but- '' Vivien smiles.

Constance laughs. '' Oh, they're not for you. At your age? You might as well just Krazy Glue a stick of butter to your ass. These are for violet. ''

'' Oh, I see the little flowers there. '' Vivien points. '' Candied violets. They're from a wonderful Mexican marker on Alvarado Street. I'll give you the name. Just don't go after sundown. '' Constance shakes her head.

'' Okay. Thank you. '' Vivien goes to take the plate but Constance pulls it back. '' Huh. '' Constance looks Vivien up and down.  '' What? '' Vivien asks, fed up with her neighbor.

'' You're with child. I have the nose of a truffle pig. '' Constance smiles. '' I could smell that little angel...the second I walked in the door. Pheromones. ''

'' Wow. '' Vivien nods. '' So, uh, is Violet home? '' Constance asks. '' I'd like to hand these to her personally. I'm a sucker for penance. '' Vivien shakes her head. '' No, she's-she's not here. ''

'' I'll come back. '' Constance goes to walk out of the door as Katherine walks through it. Vivien lights up as soon as she sees the young woman.

'' Constance? I know this is a crazy question...but do you smell anything else about the baby? '' Vivien asks. '' Two sugars and a great deal of half and half. '' Constance sits down on the kitchen table. '' Are you worried about something in particular? ''

'' Tea, Katherine? '' Vivien asks. '' I'll have a bottle of water if you have any. I can't stay long.'' Katherine leans on the table as Vivien goes to eat a cupcake.

'' I told you. Those are for Violet. '' Constance says. '' She's not gonna eat both. We can split it. '' Vivien smiles at Katherine as she hands her a bottle of water.

'' Oh, no, dear, I have some back at the house, in the fridge for Katherine and Adelaide to eat later. '' Constance says, stopping Katherine from reaching for the half that Vivien is holding out to her.

Katherine leans against the counter and drinks from the bottle of water Vivien handed her.

'' Can I ask you a personal question? '' Vivien looks at Constance. '' If you had known about Addy before she was born...would you have done something? When I first met you, you said that if they'd had the tests back then that you might have--''

'' Oh, don't think I didn't think about it, even after she was born...leaving that little bug-eye out in the cold. That's what they do in China. But a mother...never turns her back on her child. Every one of mine was pure love. '' Constance says.