Chapter 10: Delirium

Unfortunately, it would seem that Alec got far too deep into the parabatai tracking. Right now, he was seeing memories of Jace and himself, trapped within them. He trashed around, as if trapped in a nightmare, sweating and unable to be woken up. That's when the three women knew to call on someone else. 

Ethel had been told his name was Magnus Bane, and he was the 'High Warlock of Brooklyn'. In other words, the best of the best, and also a friend of theirs. So it was now just Isabelle, Magnus and herself in the room, with Alec, as Jocelyn had ran out at the first sigh of trouble. She wasn't sure if it was out of cowardness, or to keep looking for Clary another way. Likely it was a mixture of them both. 

"Jace, I..." His delirious state persisted, even when Magnus tried to use his magic to bring him back. 

"It's not working." Izzy pointed out in worry and disappointment. Beside her was Ethel, whom wondered if she should have done more to stop Alec. But, in the back of her mind, she still knew- this would have happened regardless of any efforts. 

"I'm sorry, Isabelle." Magnus replied as he tried to use his magic once more. However, his attempts were fruitfulness. "Parabatai bonds are like a tether that binds two souls. Jace and Alec share emotions, instincts, strength. It's an angelic bond. My magic can only do so much."

"So Jace is like this, too?" That was an important question. 

But the warlock didn't think that was the case. Alec had initiated this unique form of parabatai tracking. The two-way street might not cause a true mirroring of these symptoms. "Not necessarily. It appears that when Alec called out to him, part of his soul never returned. Now he's stuck, lost somewhere between himself and his parabatai." And with that, Magnus continued to try to help Alec in the best way possible. That was to try to recuperate his body's strength. Unfortunately, the root of the problem was taking place somewhere deeper. 

However, his words sparked some interest in Ethel's mind. She tried to consider ways to help Alec. Maybe he could still be saved. "But if Jace brought back that missing piece of his soul..."

He caught on what she was thinking, and nodded with a bit of optimism. "We may very well have the cure. Whatever we do, we need to do it quickly."

Turning to the other two conscious people in the room, Izzy made a decision. "Stay with Alec. I'll go find Jace."

----------------------

As Isabelle tried looking for Jace, however it was that she planned to achieve that, Ethel was left with Magnus. She had tried timidly to offer any help, but wasn't all too sure on what to do. And soon, she went into a rabbit hole about her decisions. "I should have tried to stop this. But I didn't. I think I actually encouraged it. So, I need to fix it. Anything I can do, please tell me. I have no clue about any of this- or anything, for that matter."

He pursed his lips, considering what to make of her words. Magnus knew little about the young woman before him, but his gut helped guide him in making an appropriate opinion on her. "From what I hear, you were turned recently, right? By the Cup? After being kidnapped by Valentine?"

"That's right, sir." She admitted with her head hung low. 

"You're trying to find your place here. Which is hard. Not just due to your ignorance on the Shadow World, but because you're also part-Downworlder. That's gotta be tough."

So, he knew about her half-Seelie nature. Ethel wasn't sure what to make of that. "You know about that?"

"I do." He admitted with a simple nod. "You're journey won't be easy, but you'll get through it."