Chapter 4: Excuses

Tom's P.O.V.

As soon as I could move my legs I got myself out of there. Luckily he did tell the truth and thunder was close to me. Sadly he had tied a rope around thunders mouth so he wouldn't shoot at anything. Fair enough honestly but I still removed it once we were up in the air.

It took a good five minutes of flying around to find my bearings but once I saw the lake and was able to get back home from there, of course not before grabbing some plant samples as an excuse of why I was out.

After about 15 minutes of quick flying back to the base to try and minimise the time I was gone I knew it was pointless. The moment I flew up through the tunnel that led to our base I knew I messed up.

"Where were you Tom?" Asked Jun looking very annoyed she wore the same sort of expression as my mother did whenever I did something wrong or lied to her.

"I was just collecting samples from the ice realm" I said keeping my cool and making sure that it wasn't obvious that I wasn't telling the full truth. It's a lot easier to lie if you do tell the truth in some way so this was a lot easier for me than just making something up on the spot.

"Why were you collecting samples? and samples of what?" Asked Alex.

Honestly she'd be the hardest of fool, D'Angelo would be happy the moment I mentioned that it was for medical supplies Jun wouldn't mind after a few hours and Eugene didn't really care either way since he just wanted adventure.

"I remembered seeing some odd looking plants in the ice realm while on previous missions and I thought I'd bring back a couple of samples to see if we could use any for medical supplies" I said, to make it more believable I continued "In the past Vikings would use a lot of things in their surroundings as healing items and and some of them must have worked so it's likely that there might be something down here that could help heal either us or the dragons"

"That's brilliant Tom! Could you hand me the samples so I can take a look at them?" Asked D'Angelo looking a lot less upset then when I had first flown into the cave.

As I handed them over I could tell that Alex knew that I didn't just go for samples but she kept quiet for now. She was looking at me like she always did when she knew that I had done something wrong. And then she said something that I didn't think about.

"If you were going for samples then why didn't you trip any of the sensors? we've only really thoroughly explored areas that we put sensors in"

I was in stunned silence for a few moments before regaining my composure.

"I wanted it to be a surprise so I flew to the centre of the realm where I'd seen a couple of these plants and gathered them from there" I said making sure to look slightly sheepish. Best part about this was they couldn't tell me that I'm lying because they could go and check the centre of the realm and they would see the places that I cut the branches and leaves from.

"Fine" said Jun "but next time you tell us before going on one of these little expeditions we need to be working together and going behind each other's backs is not doing that"

"Yeah" said D'angelo "it's a good thing you weren't hurt because if you were you'd have had no way of contacting us"

That annoyed me a little bit because while yes I could have been trapped there I did still have my phone with me in case of that exact thing occurring.

"No hang on I wouldn't have been totally helpless, I bought my phone with me guys I would have been able to call you if that happened" I said looking them in the eyes. They were good friends however they didn't understand that I just needed to fly on my own sometimes.