Prologue. Genevieve's perishment

Unceasing pain, tears, and resentment engulfed Genevieve's entire soul as she scanned the blood from the cut on her finger soak into the ground. Her body quivered as tears welled, but no sound. That was the most grievous moment in her life, to shriek in agony, but no sounds were coming from her mouth.

This was a scene that had been ensuing ever since her father perished due to the poison that had killed him, and until now, she had zero idea who the perpetrator was. It could have been anyone in their town or even one of the surrounding areas, yet there were no inklings about where the culprit could be or how they would get rid of the evidence of their crimes so easily. However, there were rumors that her stepmother was behind everything.

Losing her father means losing her life. When her father, Casimir, died, everybody treated her like mucky trash by punishing her with the most degrading treatment possible for the entire world, such as flooding her with derogatory remarks and physically abusing her. She was sitting in this state of misery, all alone at the Vexaria Cave, she felt the urge to wail out loud, but instead, she held it back, feeling so much frustration inside her. She wished she could punch something to alleviate her swirling, bewailing sentiments. But all she could do was let her tears descend her cheeks, hefty heartache, grief, and rage filling every crevice of her being, slowly drowning her in the chasm of melancholy.

A sudden footstep caught her ear, which caused her heart rate to accelerate, and her breath quickened.

"Hey! Stupid hunchback. Get up!" yelled someone behind her, and she knew who it was even without glancing at the source.

It's Lady Eleanor, her wicked stepmom. Genevieve lost everything because all the properties, money, land, and even her precious liberty had ended up in her hand.

"I said, get up!" Eleanor stepped on the fabric of her black kirtle dress, making her almost sink into the sand underneath them.

She propelled herself to stand up but immediately stumbled onto her feet again. Her body is too weak from the constant torture inflicted upon her. She endeavored to stand again and move her limbs but still couldn't budge.

"I-I'm sorry... but I can't. My body needs more time to heal before it gets up." Her voice cracked from exhaustion.

Eleanor laughed. "So, you are saying I should let you sit and watch you there?"

"Maybe... I'll just get back to the palace later... "

Lady Eleanor's expression turned sullen as her eyes stared straight at her, piercing her through the soul, and the next moment, she pulled her harshly by the arm and dragged her toward the other side. She stopped, then slapped her hard.

"And how dare you complain?! You have no liberty to transgress my rules, stupid hunchback!" hollered Lady Eleanor, clearly infuriated. "Whatever I say, you must obey! Without objection! Without excuses!"

The tears began to swell again, but Genevieve didn't try to wipe them away and looked up to face her. "I l-lost everything. I o-obeyed you in everything... but this is how you repay me? Do you think I deserve that?"

"Where on earth did you get that courage to speak with someone superior to you?!" And for the second time, she slapped her face.

"Courage?" She glanced severely into her eyes. She cursed herself internally, yearning for a luxury chance to take back her words, but it was too late. Those are still the genuine questions she vented— the words rooted deep within her core.

"That arrogance of yours is impressive. For the first in history, you speak to me with such audacity. But let me tell you this, Genevieve." She beelined toward her direction with so much despise and rages blazing in her eyes. "If you're trying to act like a brave noble, think better! You need to learn your place before I beat you to death!"