Chapter 5. Avidity to avenge

"It should be who." the voice sounded much like hers, a few octaves deeper. It also carried that peculiar, almost ethereal quality in it. "I am guessing you were impressed by the show." she smiled as if she wasn't just conveying something foolish and potentially insulting toward someone superior. "Or did you think me human, Magus Empress?"

"You sound old," remarked Magus Empress instead of answering the question. "Like you've been doing this far longer than your age."

"I'm ancient," she said. "We all are. But in different ways."

A moment of stillness followed her pronouncement, not uncomfortable, but there was so much weight behind those words that they made her feel a little exposed somehow. However, Magus Empress couldn't explain why she felt it as if Genevieve had just come from history with something profound like a mystery hidden from her for generations but now slowly divulging herself, not just to her but to everyone. Magus Empress felt like an explorer discovering a lost continent but failed to comprehend its depth.

"I am not what you speak," the voice said in a mumble, breaking through her thought. It was Genevieve who was now giving her a strange beam. "But for now, I shall take my leave. See you tomorrow."

Without further hesitation, Magus Empress snapped out of whatever trance she'd found herself trapped. Her face smoothed back into the impassive mask. "Well, good luck on our next encounter. I do believe I'll find that answer to your riddle quickly."

"Evilly meant, don't turn the page of mine. Choose another tale for your sake." Genevieve's red lips curled into another evil smile resembling mockery. "Don't try."

"Are you ordering me?"

"I'm giving you a hint about me."

"If I oppose you?"

"Then blame not me if you do choose amiss."

Everyone was looking at them, but no one dared comment on the sudden shift between tense and hostile silence.

With a fulfilling soul, Genevieve turned her back on them and left without looking back while fluorescent gleamed around her that eventually disappeared. It was like the last lingering embers of the fire that gradually went gloomy. No one commented or even looked away for long. The mood was wholly tense and oppressive – but no one felt culpable about it as they highly regarded that woman as nothing but an arrogant fledgling woman.

A copious amount of curiosity penetrated Magus Empress' senses, but she dropped it, refusing to let it rule over her thoughts.

Outside the chamber came the thud of booted feet and a loud voice demanding to see the Magus Empress. It was the messenger who entered the chamber, glanced askance at first.

"Magus Empress!" the messenger hastened into the room and interrupted her.

"Yes, what is your news?" Magus Empress demanded of the second.

"Valenciaga has summoned me. She reports that Ranzol made an incursion across our border. And we have been ordered to undertake an assault on the Citadel of Areje."

"The Citadel? What does she mean, attacking the citadel?" queried Magus Empress. "There was a covenant between them. How could Valenciaga allow such a breach?"

"This may happen simply fortuitous," said the messenger nervously.

A frown pulled her brows together. "Why would Valenciaga allow something so idiotic to occur?!"

"Ranzol is obsessed with magic. She's willing to die just for her frivolous desire, Magus empress. That's not a question," said one of the Black Enchanted, Fara.

"That says it all. Ranzol agreed to the deal to execute her scheme," added Revel, one of the Carexia.

"And she attacked our border to exterminate our kind! I can't allow this!" Magus Empress respired in anger, unable to accept the fact.

She beelined toward the chamber's center and gave everyone a stern look. "I shall deal with this matter with the Black Enchanted and Carexia. For the rest, please return to your respective place. You will not be needed again until I summon you." her voice was firm and unwavering, and the messenger nodded and fled hurriedly, leaving everyone behind to stare in disbelief.

*****

GENEVIEVE sat on her throne at the Myeschia Palace, wearing her fulfilling grin. It had been two hours since she excused herself from Queen Eleanor and King Abrosco and went back to her palace afterward.

"You did a great job," said a soft, silky voice. She didn't need to glance up; she knew exactly it was Czarina. "Even the Queen and King look convinced. Your plan has worked."

She chortled lightly. "That's my paramount. To fool them first and make me on top before I could wreck their flesh."

"That's how it's supposed to work."

Gradually, Genevieve stood up from her throne, moving carefully with grace, and sauntered toward where her statue as a Queen of Myeschia Palace rested on its pedestal.

"I've never cared about winning or losing, Czarina. All I care about is..." she paused, grazing the statue. "How will I make her suffer until I can slay her."

"You've done it amazingly, Genevieve. You have everything now. You are powerful. You have robust magic. You are given a kind of omnipotence; your life is yours to live as you desire. But remember that you're doing it for vengeance on those who destroyed you, not to wreak havoc on those not involved. That's how it's supposed to end."

Her eyes showed quizzically, apparently dissented. "I know. But I am too good for that kind of petty vengeance. Everyone who serves the Queen will surely send to a grave."

Czarina faced her disapprovingly, her eyes showing an underlying emotion. "Some are innocent. And you have to accept that being at the hands of the Queen and King wasn't their choice."

"And I never chose this, Czarina. I just threw the pain; this is the only way to become more than my foe."

"Even if that means embracing your demise?"

"That's an oath. No reason could cease me from taking this path. I can't stop this endless game. A part of me wishes not to find the way out."

"Don't say that," said Czarina, shaking her head in incredulity.

"I need to."

"Genevieve—"

"What will happen then?" interrupted Genevieve as she strode near her. "Where will I go after all of this is over?"

Czarina remained silent for a while. Her face seemed to soften when she witnessed the pain written on Genevieve's features. "There are enough other things to do to convey my deep, grievous sentiments, but no one could ever bring back my treasure that I've been yearning for a long time."

"Then tell me, what do you want? What could make you stop for all that you've planned?"

Silence fell between them. And with telepathy, Genevieve conveyed her words to Czarina in her mind.

"I want everything."

That disclosure was enough to send a strange thrill up Czarina's spine, one she hadn't envisioned since both of them had a fair covenant.

But why does Genevieve seem to forget that they are both in a situation where fate is bound to end? Payback must be done in accordance with the plans since that's paramount, but if it goes beyond, the upshot will indeed be catastrophic.