Chapter 4. The Vonclave

The Vonclave was held infrequently inside the Farloja Palace and located at the prodigious chamber called Glym. The size was almost half of the palace itself, with a Gothic ribbed vault and lofty enough to be beyond the reach of any person. This occurs only when the foremost magic users in each of the two orders— Black Enchanted and Carexia— deem it necessary that all those of all levels of magic, from the newest apprentice to the skilled witches, gather to produce another spell and showcase themselves. But now, another phenomenon as to what the 

Queen and King requested will ensue, and it's nothing but to give recognition to the new member of Black Enchanted.

Mages from all over Renesia traveled to the Glym to attend Vonclave. Also invited were certain individuals known as the Lavender Race, whose extraordinary people were adept at crafting magical items.

Inside the Glym was the immaculate floor, the vicinity enwreathed from peculiar trees by a vast canopy of branches and some sprouted tiny spines. Various colors of flowers blossomed in the corners of the chamber, decorated inside hundreds of lanterns. The vault flowed with soft luminescence. Everything is mystical, but behind those perfect creations, a magic spell is cast on them.

At the right corner was the group of Black Enchanted, a group of witches in black veils and a wide-brimmed pointed conical hat. They wore black dresses and black Moliere shoes that matched their ghastly features and vulpine eyes as if gleaming with cunning. They have magic and are proficient at performing incantations.

On the left side were those Carexia, a group of creatures, both men and women, without magic but masterful in using magical items against anyone.

Everyone was too occupied equipping themselves for the forthcoming event, the arrival of the new member.

In the middle part was a cauldron bubbled slowly on the table, leaving off the most infernal and rancid vapors, which everyone didn't mind. And there stood Magus Empress, hands continuously circling above the cauldron, casting a spell, the light flickering from her eyes, her face stern with concentration.

"Everyone! Eyes on me!" someone from the room's threshold announced loudly. The sound resonated through the room. The witches spun toward the source and found the Queen, King, and the unfamiliar woman clad in a medieval black celucke dress with a cloak.

"This is Genevieve Florencia, who was entitled to be here since she will be joining the Black Enchanted," said the King, making everyone fall silent.

"Did she pass the test? So easily?" asked one of the witches, intrigued.

"Is she willing to gamble?"

"But she looks naive."Witches kept whispering among each other, discussing the newcomer, but Genevieve could hear them from where she stood, standing near the doorway.

"You will know her true nature at the right time. Please welcome her!" declared the King ebulliently.

In a few minutes, Genevieve felt the gaze from the crowd fixated on her, and the whispers grew louder and more hostile.

"Are you sure this is wise, Queen Eleanor?" asked Magus Empress. "She looks majestic, but what if she's substandard and incapable? What's her basis?"

Those words sounded insulting toward Genevieve. Anger began to well up within her, and before she could control it, the magic came out of her eyes and spread across the room. It was an invisible force but not an overwhelming amount, nor would it damage anything because the control she had over her magic was strong enough to prevent anything harmful from happening to any nonmagical objects in her range. She then extinguished all the fire lit by the candles. The sudden change in atmosphere left everyone shocked.

After the initial shock subsided, several whispered questions were heard and quickly ceased when Genevieve stepped forward toward Magus Empress, who said those frivolous words.

"To be frank, no one is incompetent in this Land because everyone has their place to fill, a strong personality that makes them incomparable, and the courage that gives them the capacity to succeed and make others look up to them." With each syllable she spoke, the energy from her voice seemed to develop stronger until she became intimidating. "Do you know where a weak person comes from?"

Magus Empress and all the witches didn't respond; instead, they simply stared at her, mesmerized. The Queen and King remained hushed but looked displeased, as if they wanted to intervene.

"They came from unfortunate yesterday, from bloody torture. And the truth, no one is weak; that was just a frivolous perspective of those who see themselves better than the rest." Genevieve looked fierce, but everyone couldn't fathom where that energy originated.

"If I asked you to show me some proof of your words, would that suffice?" asked Magus Empress softly while everyone else remained muted.

With her cold, indifferent gaze, Genevieve glanced at all the witches in the chamber, but there was no answer. The silence persisted, and soon her confidence accumulated. A sigh fled her lips. 

"Alright then, teach me any formula of incantation. I'll make sure I do it perfectly."

A smile slowly crept on Magus Empress' lips upon witnessing how confident Genevieve was now, though skeptical of the outcome. "As you wish, Genevieve."

Peeking toward the Queen and King, Magus Empress bowed slightly, which earned a silent approval until the two monarchs left the chamber, giving her the command.

Veering around to face the bubbling cauldron, Magus Empress raised her hand over its surface. A spark was caught on her palm, and the whole potion turned green hot.

"La vie quo xie vera," mumbled Magus Empress, closed eyes.

She placed her hands together and then moved, creating a swirling vortex. A gust of wind around her lit the candles and replenished the chamber with the creepiest and most terrifying aura.

The scene wasn't done yet. As Magus Empress grabbed a piece of paper from the table and crumpled it, she opened her hand, let it fly up, floating toward the ceiling with great speed, and threw it before the doorframe.

Witnessing such magic was something extraordinary every human would have wished to see. Only a select few understood how perilous this process was, and the consequences of failure were unspecified. The Black Enchanted and Carexia never attempted doing any unfamiliar incantation unless the witch was prepared for the consequences. If the witch failed, there was no way that the result would be satisfactory.

However, this was the most exciting part for Genevieve. She was powerful since she was reborn by Czarina. She was adept and infallible in her magic, surpassing a dozen sorcerers from different lands and lineages.

Demonstrating the entire formula was what Magus Empress was doing to transmit the knowledge to this incredible woman who was eager to prove herself. But Genevieve paid no attention; instead, she acted like the air was not affecting her.

"Did you memorize the formula?" asked Magus Empress, watching the proceedings unfold. 

Everyone was hurling her a quizzical stare, but none dared to speak.

"I'll show you," said Genevieve stoutly, that her words weren't a lie. She stayed subdued but internally wanted to drag the disbelievers out of the Glym and shove their faces in a lousy grave to prove her point.

She went before the cauldron with all the power and bravery she possessed. Her gaze focused on the lantern from a distance where the red rose sealed its fate, then let her telekinesis power to broke it without any trace of destruction.

She let the flower hover over the surface before burning it slowly. The fire extinguished instantly after it consumed the rose until only a puddle of ashes remained on the floor.

Everyone was utterly dumbstruck, looking at her in amazement.

With that, Magus Empress put her hand on her shoulder, endeavoring to read her innermost but failing miserably. Her identity is incognito, like an indecipherable scrawl in a dark charta— too impossible to decipher.

"What are you?"