43. Panic

A woman walks over to us. "Where's Ricky?" The woman asks.

"Ricky? Oh, food poisoning." JJ says. "You know Ming Dynasty off highway 25?" JJ asks. "Them egg rolls will get you."

"Hi, I'm Athena, I'm a medical student at KC High School." I say. I shake the woman's hand.

"The patient fell out. No LOC but he's orthostatic." The woman says. "Stage 4 lymphoma. He's been in and out of chemo for the last three months."

"Is that the only patient tonight ma'am?" I ask.

The woman chuckles. "Why? You want more than one tonight?" She asks.

"I would if I had to." JJ says. Then he struggles to look for the keys but then opens the back doors of the ambulance.

"JJ, is that you?" The patient asks. My eyes go wide.

"He's delusional as shit." JJ says.

"Where's your partner?" The woman asks.

"Egg rolls." JJ says.

"Who's gonna look after the patient if you're driving?" The woman asks. "Medical students can't do that stuff alone."

"Well, they told me that the officer could drive." JJ says.

"He's an inmate, I gotta be in the back." The officer says.

"Well with all due respect, that patient is super weak and stuff so there's no way he's gonna be able to take on Nikolai and I." I say.

"He's weak, feeble, pale and shit. I gotta do medical stuff on him or we're gonna loose him." JJ says.

The officer agrees to drive so JJ and I go in the back. JJ starts panicking as police cars appear. "Uh, A-Athena." JJ says. "Can you uh, watch him real quick?"

"Umm, y-yeah sure." I say. The radio in the front keep saying that there's a 10-63 in progress. Fuck. That doesn't sound good.

"Officer, everything good up there?" JJ asks. The officer closes the glass window thingy. "Shit, Ash, they know." JJ says. He starts panicking.

"Oh shit." I say. I start breathing faster. JJ goes for the back door of the ambulance but I just see more sirens. I get my phone out and text Kie. I say, "SOS 4th and second." I send it.

"I-I can't go to jail Ash!" JJ says. "Shit!!" He yells. He bangs on the wall and I hear his breathing get shallow. I walk over to him and wrap my arms around him. He sits on the ground. I can see the panic in his eyes.

He sits down and I sit across from him. "J, look at me." I say. JJ's eyes snap to mine.

"A-Ashlyn, I-I can't breath." JJ says. His eyes get watery. I can see the panic in his eyes.

"Shhh, JJ." I say. I sit next to him and he leans his head onto my chest. Right onto my heart where he can hear my heartbeat. I hold his hand and squeeze it to comfort him. "You're gonna be alright JJ, we're gonna be okay." I say. His breathing gets back to normal.

"Je t'aime." He says. Then the ambulance comes to a quick stop. JJ's head slams onto the wall of the ambulance.

"Yes." JJ says. He looks at me and smiles. "I'm not going to jail. Not today." He says. He sneaks through the side of the ambulance and helps me out. We both run into the backseat of Kie's car. We are both in the backseat, out of breath.

"I'm seriously not going to even ask." Kie says.

"Look, I busted the wrong guy out of jail, okay? Sue me." JJ says.

"What?!" Kie asks.

"Hey, at least he was trying." I say.

"Why are you always doing such stupid shit?" Kie asks.

"Well, I'm gonna end up in jail anyway." JJ says.

"J, you aren't gonna end up in jail. Forget about what Plumb said." I say. I see blood trickle from JJ's forehead. "Hey, you're bleeding." I say. I take off the medical coat so I'm left in my t-shirt and shorts. I take the coat and keep pressure on JJ's forehead.

"Thanks." JJ says, still out of breath.

"No problem." I say.