45. Slushees

JJ gets a call and answers it. We are both sitting on the couch together at the Chateau.

"Wait seriously?!" JJ asks. "We'll be right there." He hangs up.

"JJ what happened?" I ask.

"Heyward got attacked." JJ says. He helps me up and I put my arm over his shoulder as he helps me walk.

We walk outside and tell Pope and Kiara what happened. Then we all hurry into the Twinkie and Sarah and JB follow us.

We get to Heywards and then see Heyward all beat up. Sarah starts putting a bandaid on his forehead. I sit next to JJ.

"Pop, what happened?" Pope asks.

"He came in just as I was about to lock up." He says. "Once he had me down, he put his knee on my chest." Heyward says. "He asked me about that key that you showed me. In case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing." He says. "But did you track it down?" He asks.

Pope grabs it out of his pocket. "Mee-maw's old apartment." Pope says.

"He told me that he fell off of a ladder trying to get it." I say. I laugh.

"If you gave it to me, I wouldn't of had to take a beating." Heyward says. "Why they want it so bad?"

"I don't know." Pope says. He tells Heyward about Charleston. I show him my calf.

"Don't just sit here." Heyward says. "Figure it out!" He says.

"No, I'm just gonna give it to the lady." Pope says.

"No no no no no." Heyward says. "You don't back down from a fight." He says.

Pope starts talking about the cross. Heyward tells Pope to go ask his Mee-maw about it.

We all drive in the Twinkie and Kiara finds out that the cross of Santo Domino is a super giant gold cross. After we drop Pope off, Kiara, Sarah, and I go get slushees while JJ and JB chill in the car.

We are standing outside drinking our slushees together. I got blue raspberry and I got JJ a red cherry one. I limp and hand it to him.

"Thanks cupcake." JJ says. I smile.

"You're welcome." I say. I walk back over to Sarah and Kie.

"He saved my life. I already put him through so much." Sarah says to Kie.

"Who?" I ask.

"Topper." Sarah says. I roll my eyes.

"Sarah, Topper is an idiot." I say. "There, I said it." I say.

"How would you know?" Sarah asks me.

"He tried to kiss me like 5 years ago." I say. "I kicked him in the balls and called him a whore."

"Damn girl." Kie says. "All of this crazy shit's happening." Kie says. "And Pope is giving me the silent treatment for not being in love with him."

"Don't even bring up the L word." I say. "I love JJ." I say. "But I don't think he loves me back." I say.

"Relationships suck." Kie says.

"Sometimes." I say. "But not all the time." We all start getting in the Twinkie but JJ stops me.

"Follow me." He says. He smirks and we walk behind the slushee building. I have my arm around his shoulders to help me walk. He takes a sip of his red slushee and I take a sip of my blue one. JJ kisses me. I kiss him back.

"You're so hot." I say, still kissing him,

"Je t'aime." He says.

We make out for a few more minutes and then I hear JB calling our names.

"We better go." I say. JJ groans and grabs my hand. We walk to the Twinkie together and JJ helps me in.

"Ash, stick out your tongue." Sarah says. I stick it out.

"JJ, stuck out your tongue." JB says. JJ sticks his out. Kie and Sarah starts giggling.

"What kind of slushees did you guys have?" Sarah asks.

"I had blue raspberry." I say.

"I had red cherry." JJ says.

"Then how come both of your tongues are purple?" Kie asks.

My face turns bright red and I look down. JJ is confused.

"What?" He asks me.

"Blue and red make purple." I say. I get in the back with Sarah and Kie.

JB is smiling at JJ and I as our faces turn red. Then JB starts laughing. Soon, we're all laughing.