Chapter 3: The Farther We Go

Gia muttered a bit as she tapped case files into the system, rubbing her face as she sat back. "I hate paperwork…" She glanced at Sam, the dog resting in the corner. "Hey, bud. What do you say we go for a walk? We have the permit." The dog immediately trotted over, leash in his mouth. Gia snorted as she tugged her shoes on, clipping him in and leading him down the street.
     It was chilly, a light breeze gracing the streets of New Orleans. Mist sprayed off the water as she walked, Sam trotting along happily. Gia inhaled softly, sighing as she stopped in front of the bar. 
     "Well, Sam, we better go say hi to Taylor." The dog barked at her, Gia smiling and tugging open the door. Taylor always left it open for runaways and strays, a few teenagers sitting at the tables with water and soup. If she was being honest with herself, she didn't think Taylor did this. He was a good guy.
     She moved upstairs where his apartment was, knocking on the door. "Richard, come on. I need the tapes." He groaned from inside but opened the door, scowling. 
     "Boudreaux. What do you want from me?” Gia huffed a bit, grumbling. “I need the security footage, Taylor.” She figured she wouldn’t need the threat of a warrant, but it was good to have. He opened the door more to let her in, muttering.
     “Fine. Let me grab my laptop…” He moved off, sitting on the couch. 
The room was cozy, with a small, open kitchen, and a sitting area with soft, plush couches and blankets. Taylor knew how to keep a room warm and soft, even if he was annoying…He came back out with a black laptop, sitting next to her quietly. Sam stayed laying on Gia’s feet, tail thumping against the floor. Taylor tapped quietly at the keyboard as she had been doing not less than an hour ago, quietly bringing up the footage from the night before.
     “Here. This starts at five.” He sped it up to show people rushing down the street, the light fading quickly as it hit eight. 
      The bar’s signs and lights lit up, the doors unlocking. People rushed in before he slowed the video at around ten. The street was slightly empty, but the docks were perfectly visible in the camera feed. The small boat that Cameron had been found in was rocking along the wood, Cameron soon visible on the docks. Gia’s breath caught…he’d been alive and near people just four hours before his death. Her best friend…She ignored the dread that clawed up her spine, quiet as they watched the footage. Taylor came out of the bar, Minnie coming into view behind Cameron.
     Taylor’s mouth tightened as he kept his eyes on the screen, that bruise on his cheek throbbing a bit. 
     Taylor said something that wasn’t audible, Minnie blushing and giggling a bit. Cameron barked something, probably a curse. Taylor spoke again and this time Cameron lunged at him, hitting him in the face. Taylor stumbled back, holding his cheek and Cameron and Minnie got on the boat. Minnie’s purse sat next to her hand, but she reached into it as they rowed out of view. Taylor paused the footage, and glanced at Gia. “I didn’t kill Cam. He was my friend, Gia…even if we had our falling out, I still cared about him and Minnie.” Sam stared up at Gia, who sighed. 
     “Alright. You didn’t kill Cam. What was the arguing about though…?” Taylor grumbled some more, before sighing. “His sister. I hit on her and he didn’t like it. Pulled the big, protective brother stick.” Gia rolled her eyes, rubbing her face. “Did you see Minnie after that?”
     Taylor shook his head, nudging the computer aside. “No. But I did get called by a hospital nearby. I was Minnie’s emergency contact when they couldn’t reach Cam. She had been bitten by a snake and was in the hospital.” Gia frowned, eyes on the floor as she thought. Minnie had been bitten, they were looking for someone with a bite. Would she really kill her own brother? Was she even capable of killing Cameron?
     Gia quickly stood, getting Sam on his leash. “Thanks for the information, Richard…I’ll let you know if we apprehend the murderer. He nodded, getting the door for her with a frown as she stepped down the stairs, and back outside onto the street.