Epilogue

Gia sipped at her hot chocolate, the styrofoam cup warm in her hands. The cold bite of the bench nipped at her legs through her jeans, but she didn’t mind as she watched people stroll through the park. She smiled at Taylor as he sat next to her, cheeks and nose red. She imagined that she looked the same, even in her hat and coat. She offered him her drink and he accepted, sipping lightly at the drink. 
     “Look at him go, doll.” She giggled a bit as Sam came trotting back with a large stick, almost a branch, setting it at Taylor’s feet. He was still getting used to only being on three legs, but he had gotten plenty used to living above a bar, and with someone else in the apartment. He had been down a leg since about three days after being shot, but he bounced right back pretty quickly. 
     Gia took her cup back, sipping at the drink. “Good boy, Sam.” She took the stick and threw it with all her might, the wood disappearing into the bushes. Sam chased after it, Taylor snorting a bit as he fell, got back up, and went back to sprinting across the grass. He tugged Gia into his side, warmth sinking into her. 
     Minnie had officially been sent to prison, with first degree murder charges and no chance of parole. The court had decided unanimously that she wasn’t innocent, and with all the evidence, Minnie was put away quickly. Liam had ended up taking over Gia’s old place, happy to be near the waterfront and the office. 
     There were still hard days, when Gia couldn’t imagine what her life would be like without Cam, but a lot had gotten better. She didn’t have nightmares anymore, but still visited his grave often. Minnie didn’t like the arrangement of Cameron getting the house and money, and ended up shooting Cameron in the back of the head for it. Gia sighed as she leaned back, Taylor grinning. 
     “Come on, doll. Once he gets back, we can get out of the cold, and I’ll make you some jambalaya when we get home.” Gia nodded, standing and getting Sam on his leash when he ran back. She led him to Taylor’s old blue pickup, getting him into the backseat. She opened the front door and climbed in, brittle twigs and old leaves crunching underfoot.

                          The End