Chapter 4: A Snake in the City

Gia paced her office, muttering to herself. Millie wasn’t capable of murder. She was small and didn’t seem to have the mind for it…But if she had a motive, it was possible that Mille LeBlanc shot Cameron LeBlanc. She moved to his office, sighing. “Liam, I think I know who did this. It could be a coincidence, but…”  Liam immediately stood up, grabbing his badge. “Who?” She was lucky to have a partner who didn’t immediately question her on if she was sure, he just wanted in on the information. Gia shut the door quickly, watching his face as she spoke. 
     “I saw the footage from the Fire Rose Bar. Two nights ago, Cameron and Minnie LeBlanc left the docks together in a little wooden boat. Cameron showed up in the morning, dead. Taylor said that Minnie had been hospitalized by a snake bite.” Liam tensed a bit, but Gia continued. “What are the chances that she’s innocent? That she didn’t shoot Cameron in the back of the head, and that she got bit by a snake while in the city.” Liam rubbed his head, quiet. “Well…they do live right next to the swamp. She could have been bit while gardening. You’re positive that Minnie wasn’t dropped off at the manor?” Gia nodded. “The footprints, Liam. Small and light. Someone was trying to get away without being noticed.” Liam tugged on his trench coat, grinning weakly.
     “Alright then, smarty pants. Get your vest and badge, we’re going to pay Miss LeBlanc a visit.”
                                *****
     They pulled up to the house quickly, Sam barking in the backseat. His vest was specially made for him, bulletproof. Gia quickly tugged her bulletproof vest on, tying her hair back into a braid as Liam shoved his guns into their holsters. They moved together; always a team, always in sync…
     Liam nodded at her. “We got this, Boudreaux. I already got back up on the way…” She nodded, opening her door and getting Sam out. The dog stilled, sniffing the air before calming down. He always got this way when they were in a serious situation, always ready to protect his master. Liam shut his door with nothing more than a click, making his way up the stairs and knocking on the door. Gia followed quietly, hand on the gun at her hip. 
     “Miss LeBlanc? It’s Detective Hill and Boudreaux. We need to speak with you.” He waited for a few seconds before knocking harder, baring his teeth. “Minne. Open the door before we come in without an invite.” He snapped, the door finally opening. Minnie stood there, her brown hair tied out of her face. She was in a black shirt and jeans, eyes furious. “What do you want, Mr. Hill? Can’t you let me mourn in peace?” She hissed. Gia winced a bit, but Liam kept his eyes on Minnie’s. “We have reason to believe that you might know the murderer. Can we please come inside to discuss the case?”
     Minnie blanched, quickly opening the door. “Come in, come in…Oh, whoever it is isn’t out to get me, right? You’d protect me if they were?” Gia nodded, following her to the sitting room again. 
     “We have reason to believe that Taylor Richard killed Cameron, Minnie.”
     She gaped, eyes wide. “Taylor? No! He’d never hurt Cam…even after their fight, they were relatively pleasant to each other. Why would Taylor shoot him in the back of the head?” Liam started speaking, but Gia paused, and remembered their meeting with Minnie the day before. 
     “How…How did he die?” She glanced between the two, before Gia spoke. “Gunshot wound to the head. No sign of struggle.”
     Gia glanced at Liam to see if he’d caught on, but he continued talking with Minnie.
     They’d never told her that Cameron had been shot in the back of the head.
Gia smiled at Minnie, nudging Liam a bit. “Can I talk to you, Hill?” He nodded, following her to the kitchen. “We never told her that Cameron was shot in the back of the head.” Liam scowled. “Ready, Boudreaux?” She nodded, a hand on the grip of her gun. 
     They moved back into the sitting room, Minnie next to the window. “Miss LeBlanc. There has been a development in the case.” Liam said, Minnie shaking. Gia stepped forward, Sam at her side. “Minnie, can we see your leg?” Minnie shook her head, hands in front of her. “I would have never hurt Cameron if he had just handed some of the money over! But he wanted all of it! I didn’t want him dead!” She turned, a pistol in her hand. Gia turned away as the gun went off. 
     A pained yelp came from Sam as his body hit the floor, Liam barking orders into his radio. Gia quickly glanced down. Sam had jumped in front of the bullet, the wound going through his back leg, buried deep. Blood dampened his chocolate colored coat, before spilling out to the floor. Gia immediately slammed into Minnie, only taking a few steps to sprint across the room. The gun went off again as it hit the floor, and glass shattered. Gia had Minnie pinned on her stomach, the woman trying to get free as Gia tugged her handcuffs from her belt.
     “Minnie LeBlanc. You are under arrest for the murder of Cameron LeBlanc, and the assault of an officer.” Minnie barked a laugh as Gia got the cuffs on, grinning a bit. “The assault of an officer? You mean threatening an officer.” Gia just smirked as she yanked Minnie to her feet. “Sam Boudreaux has his own badge and everything. He’s an officer.” Liam rushed over, making sure Minnie was secure before shoving her to another officer at the doorway to the sitting room.
     Detectives and officers were making quick work of the manor, finding bloody clothes that pointed straight to Minnie as the murderer. There was no way she would get out of this. Gia didn’t hear Liam’s words as she rushed to Sam, shoving her hands against the wound. He yelped, and Gia flinched at the noise of pain. He had lost a lot of blood…Liam tugged Gia away as medics surrounded the dog, and she lost view of him as Liam turned away.