[Chapter 4]: Day of the Jay

"Ugh, stop dunkin- Jude, you're dead!" Nate sputtered after emerging from the crystal clear waves he'd unceremoniously been dunked into. The smug blue-haired male floating beside him shrugged, shoving his head down once more without a care. However, Jude did rush away before Nate resurfaced for what might have been the fifth time.

Jude hadn't made it far when hands clamped around his ankle, dragging him hard into the water. He didn't so much as yelp nor flail his arms, accepting his fate of sinking into the shallow waves. That seemed to infuriate Nate even more, as the brunette tousled with him relentlessly. He was released only after a nearby Mama Yori nagged at them both to calm down and play civil.

Far from the rough-housing, Jinan curled into the beach lounge he'd hesitantly occupied. The large umbrella over him blocked the sun's rays, but not enough for him to make out the other's figures clearly. They were standing under the blinding light, after all. A light that was also being reflected by both the sand and sea foam. He could practically see the heatwaves dancing in the air.

He blinked away the tears threatening his gaze, burrowing his head into his knees. Resting would do him some good in this tiresome environment. Although he was content just knowing the others were having fun, he much preferred being back at the house. It'd only been a day that he'd spent there, but he found comfort in its dark, flower-filled halls.

"Hey." Jinan jolted as cold hands nudged his leg, and a brooding face with piercing emerald gems entered his peripheral. At some point, Saul had set down the sketchpad in his hands and opted for the bottle of sunblock that Yori had packed in their bags, nestled some feet away on the sand. He had finished applying a layer on himself and casually offered it to his neighbor. "Sunblock?"

"Oh y-yes, thank you. I w, would like to apply some." Jinan lightly extended a hand, waiting for the tube to be handed over. Against his expectations, a fat dollop of sunblock was dropped right onto his palm. Calloused fingers began spreading the substance along the exposed parts of his arms. They didn't stop until he was eventually swerved around, his sweater pulled up to show a flawless back as it too was rubbed over with cream.

Jinan had never taken Saul as a hands-on individual, at least not when it came to people. It was a different story for his sketchpad, which he kept within his grasp nearly every passing minute. Perhaps he was following someone's example when he decided to take care of Jinan personally. His precise touches progressed lower and lower, stopping once Jinan's legs were decently covered with a layer of sunblock.

Jinan anxiously flexed his hands, hesitating about stopping the man at work. His lips parted repeatedly, like a fish out of water, as he contemplated before a pouch of juice was placed within his grasp. Saul had given him one of the fruit drinks Mama Yori brought along to stay hydrated. He opened it with the poke of a straw, taking small sips as he regarded the other kindly. "T-thank you."

The icy juice quenched his dry throat, allowing him to relax against the lounge chair. He trailed a palm down his bare legs, relishing the lasting cool sensation of Saul's consistent strokes. He felt that things weren't so bad under the umbrella right about then. Jinan continued loosening up even as Saul returned to his own devices, pencil once again scratching tirelessly over the paper of his sketch pad.

Moments later, another figure approached the jarringly harmonious pair, with a bucket swinging by his feet and a flared hat atop his purple locks. Crow frowned at their lack of prolixity that fit far too well, somehow better than what he had with Saul. He clenched the handle of his bucket, the pretty trinkets within clattering at the force.

Unlike his housemates, Crow had wandered by the edge of the private area, gathering a sparse amount of shells and the rare sea glass. Knowing well that it would take away from the beach's beauty and marine life, he hadn't picked up much. Once they returned home, he'd add them to the collection that already decorated a corner of his room.