Chapter 1: My Half, Your Half

Hayden Haddock is infamous for being Berk University's Most Lonely Student™ — mostly because he's known for changing his roommates every few semesters. The school often receive complaints that Hayden's anger issues and sarcastic personality were intolerable.

With his mother being the headmaster of the school, she has arranged head cheerleader —emphasis on cheer—, Astrid Hofferson, to be her son's new and first female roommate, in hopes that her positive aura could bring light to his gloomy, pessimistic self.

Interestingly, it had a good start when Astrid proposed a bet called "Roommate Therapy" where she could make him "like" her so that he could be more accepting towards new potential roommates after she leaves; which he surprisingly agreed to — especially since it includes the potential loss of his daily midnight Nachos.

What Astrid did not know though, was that Hayden kept an overbearing dark secret, which in these two semesters, he hoped the former would not find out about. For eventually, he had found himself to have completely fallen for his new bubbly roommate.
•••

"Annnnd that's the last of your luggage. We hope it won't be too difficult for you to bring this up to your dorm, will it, dear?" The blonde middle-aged woman heaved a sigh of relief as she placed the heavy luggage down. A bright smile could be seen forming on her lips as she watched her daughter easily carry three other duffle bags.

Astrid chuckled at her mother's worry as she hung one of the duffle bags around her luggage, "No, it should not be a problem at all, mom. Besides, I've been in the cheerleading game for years. I'm pretty much used to all this weight anyway." Giving her mother a final hug, she turned and walked towards the student dorm building, looking forward to finding out who her new roommate was for her 2nd year at Berk University.

Astrid Hofferson has never once lived on her own, or with a roommate. Since her mother will be gone for an overseas job for the year, she thought letting her daughter stay at the school's dorm would be more efficient for her. Besides, they managed to find the one and only cheapest dorm rent rate! But just how did they get this lucky?

It was only a week before the new academic year started and Astrid was found sitting patiently outside the deputy headmaster's office. The blonde woman stared at her feet, observing the shine on her newly polished leather shoes. 15 minutes had passed, and she wondered how much longer she had to wait to receive her dorm room keys.

"Ms. Hofferson?" A voice called out. Astrid jerked her head quickly and saw the deputy headmaster, Grobian (Gobber), signalling her to come in. Eagerly, the blonde woman stood up and followed along. Once inside, she noticed the corkboard on the office wall. The corkboard had dorm room numbers pasted on it, along with hooks under each number. However, only a single metal key was found on one hook under room "59".

Grobian scratched his moustache as he signalled Astrid to sit on the office chair in front of him, nervous as to how he should explain the situation to the student. He cleared his throat, "Apologies for keeping yer waiting outside, Ms. Hofferson. Headmistress Valka wanted me to change some things up at the last minute about yer new dorm–"

He reached out for the key and flinged it around his finger, before placing it in the woman's palm. He continued, "–Few things to keep note. First and foremost, yer new roommate gots serious anger issues. Try not to get on his bad side, eh? Hopefully you'd be the fourth and last roommate change that he's had for the past one year."