Chapter 8 - Secrecy

Obi-Wan Kenobi

I don't really know what to think after my conversation with the twins. I know something's wrong with them, especially Aniya, but for whatever reason, they won't say anything about it. I know they're very upset about their mission, but I don't think that's the only problem. I know why Aniya would be upset at me, but this is extreme. It's something... more. Looking back, they seemed stressed even before Anakin was put on the Council.

Maybe I'm not happy with the situation either, but this is really the only way. It's their duty to the Order to do this, and they should know that. The entire situation is a mess right now, and I don't have much time to think about anything except Council matters, but the first chance I get, I go in search of Qui-Gon. I only had time to talk to him briefly since getting back anyway, and I'd like to see him again.

Has anyone spoken with Dooku?" Qui-Gon asks, casually. Sometimes, it's hard to understand why he cares so much, but Dooku was his master. I can understand why he would struggle with it.

"We tried. He has not been forthcoming at all," I reply. Not that I expected otherwise. There's a huge commotion from the Separatists right now over Dooku being captured, and many in the Republic Senate are demanding his immediate execution so, yes, everything is a mess right now.

"He does have little reason to trust us," Qui-Gon points out.

I give him a dubious look. "I don't believe trust is remotely relevant. He's still working with the Sith, in prison or not."

Qui-Gon "hm's" but doesn't reply – he seems lost in thought about something again. Whatever he's been up to all this time. I'd still like some answers about that, but I don't have time to get into it right now. Something about him seems a little... darker, though I can't say what. Maybe it's just my imagination. He's always been a maverick, and I can understand why he would be darker after everything that happened with Aniya. I think we all are.

"I don't believe this is what you came to talk to me about," Qui-Gon continues.

"No," I agree, "Have you spoken with Anakin and Aniya recently?"

"I have. Why?"

"They seem... stressed. Do you know what's wrong?"

Qui-Gon stops, frowning slightly. "They didn't say anything to you?"

What, they told him? "No."

"You should talk to them about it, then," he replies evasively. What? Why is everyone being so mysterious about it? What could be wrong that they don't want to tell me, but they did talk to Qui-Gon about it? It's more than a little frustrating, as it is. I don't understand it.

"You can't tell me anything about it?" Why is he being like this? We both raised the twins together, and if something's bothering them that's this important, we usually talked about it together. Dealing with them was often hard, because we could so rarely understand what was upsetting them.

"As I said, if they want to, I think it's best for them to. But they are... stressed about a lot of things. If you can help them, it would be for the best." As if I can do that when I don't even know what's wrong. Unless it's just that they're still upset over the mission, and don't want to talk to me about it again. I don't know. And I don't really have time to deal with it right now.

Qui-Gon leaves it at that, and I need to go take care of more Council work anyway. If he won't give me any answers, then maybe I'll should go to Padme and Jaufre. I know the twins have been over there a lot since they got back to Coruscant.

***

It's early the next morning that I stop at Senator Amidala's apartment. "Master Kenobi," she greets, as I step into the living room.