Chapter 2: Right Here, Right Now

An afterparty at Nino's house was in full swing. A white Audi pulled up to the crowded house. Adrien stepped out of the driver's seat and quickly hopped across the hood to open the door for Marinette who was in the passenger seat. Nino and Alya soon stepped out from the backseat.

"I'll say it again, this car is sweet!" Nino exclaimed. "And I still can't believe that your dad is letting you drive. I mean, I know your bodyguard still follows you around but still."

Adrien rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, he's been a little more lenient lately. It's a nice change." He responded thoughtfully. Marinette smiled from beside him. She always liked the way Adrien lit up when he talked about his father. At least, the good side of him. Marinette was skeptical about Gabriel's recent leniency at first, but after a while it was starting to seem like Gabriel had mellowed out seeing as he wasn't trying to sabotage her or their relationship anymore.

"It's about time." Alya mentioned. "You can't enjoy your senior year with him constricting your every move."

The four of them made their way into the house and eventually to the backyard where the life of the party was. There was dancing, food, and several people were also playing with beach balls and water guns. Nino eventually went to join the DJ at his booth while Alya and Marinette went to go get some food. Adrien would have followed suit but he was soon bombarded by a bunch of people congratulating him on the championship.

Right after he'd been greeted by Nino's mom, Wayhem had jumped him from behind which made him nearly jump out of his skin. "Hey Adrien! The sound system in your car is pretty sick!"

"Oh, thanks." Adrien politely appreciated the acknowledgement before a realization struck him. "Wait, you were in my car?"

He nodded back enthusiastically. "Yeah, I just used your keys. You dropped them, by the way." He quickly told him as he tossed the keys back to him before draping an arm over his shoulders. "You and me should totally hang out more often. Just say the word and we can go to the skate park or something."

Adrien was hesitant in his response. He wasn't against spending time with Wayhem, but he could be a little excessive sometimes. He handed his car keys back to him. "That sounds great, but for now can you go get the game trophy out of my car?"

"Oh sure!" The boy quickly took off with Adrien's keys. Adrien felt like he would regret entrusting his keys to him, but he decided to push the thought to the side for the time being.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soon the night grew later and Adrien figured it was time to take Marinette home. She'd been putting a lot of work into her fashion portfolio lately, which meant that she had a few sleepless nights. He insisted on making sure that she got home safe. Marinette spoke up when they got into his car. "Well, you won the championships and basketball season is over. How do you feel?"

Adrien sighed as he reminisced. "I don't know. A part of me is sad that it's over, but at the same time I'm glad that the pressure's over with. Well, at least that pressure is. Next on the agenda is college." He mentioned before he turned the key in the ignition and started to drive.

"Right," Marinette felt uneasy as she thought about it. "It's hard to think about the fact that in a few months you'll be all the way in the UK." His father still hadn't changed his mind about sending Adrien to Oxford. Not that they thought that he would. It was just that Adrien had been attempting to talk his father out of it lately, only to be shot down every time.

"My father really won't budge on the subject, but you never know, he could have a sudden change of heart." He suggested hopefully. "If he hadn't changed at all over the years then I definitely wouldn't have the freedom to drive myself around."