-11-

Today is Friday and a lot has happened so far. Firstly, I never got an email saying I was fired. I checked again and again and eventually asked my teacher who seemed surprised since Mr Reyes hadnt told her anything about intending to fire me. She was curious to know why I had assumed that I was getting fired, and I had to fake and excuse and leave before she got too suspicious. Since, I wasnt fired, I have been going to work every day and, luckily for me, I havent seen Xavier at all. He is rarely in the office these days, and whenever he needs to send a message to me, he does so through Linda. I actually don't mind since it makes me get to spend more time with her - she is quirky and fun with a humorous personality, and I appreciate this, especially now that my bff Audrey is so busy hanging out with the cheerleaders and we rarely have anytime together anymore.

I also havent seen Asher since that day and I do hope that Xavier hasnt given him a hard time. I found out that they always argue, usually over business deals. Xavier had formed his own company, Reyes Industries, when he was in college, leaving Asher to run the family company, Reyes Inc. Both brothers were in a constant rivalry, always trying to out-do the other and I was always reading about them when I was free during work.

Which was what I was doing now when Linda poked her blond head into my office, and I quickly closed the tab that I was reading. Heavens forbid that I would look like I was stalking my boss. I looked up at Linda, who was carrying a box, probably a gift from a boyfriend or something.

"Hey Candy" , Linda said, casually sitting on my work table. "This just came in from the boss, he said that he expects to see you there tomorrow evening.", as she spoke, she slid out an envelope from the pocket of her skirt and handed it to me.

I ripped it open under her watchful eyes, and saw a very fancy looking invitation card which was for a gala taking place tomorrow evening.

Wait a minute. Aren't we free on weekends. And why would Xavier invite me after what happened between us. Is this a plan to embarrass me? In which case in need to think of an excuse not to go.

*Gee sorry Linda but I can't make it tomorrow. I don't have a ride and I..."

"Oh yeah, Mr Reyes said that you should give this envelope...," she pulls out a similar envelope from her jeans pocket, "...to your friend and tell him that he is invited and he can drive you to the location. What was the name now Johnson or was it Hording or?"

"Jordan?", I gasp.

"Yeah that's the one. So why did you say that you can't make it again?"

I am running out of options and I say desperately, "I don't have a dress to wear and since it's such a formal event, I wouldn't want to embarrass Mr Reyes by..."

"Oh thats no problem, Linda smiles and reaches for the box which she hands over to me. It's all taken care of."

I groan in frustration. There is no escape. I have to go to the gala.

***

"Lighten up darling, you are literally wrinkling before my eyes", Jordan says, as he applies eyeshadow on me. I really do not know why he insists on putting make-up on me, but he seems happy, so I don't complain.

"I can't believe I am going to a real rich people gala all because of your rich boyfriend."

"He's my boss, not my boyfriend", I correct.

"Oh yada, yada, yada. Same difference. Now hold still while I apply the lipstick."

I cringe as he butters my face up and remember the conversation I had had with my parents trying to convince them that this was legitimate. They refused to believe me and even called Xavier up to confirm it. Luckily, Linda picked up the phone and vouched for me, which seemed to do the trick. They only allowed me to go on the condition that Jordan followed me, so I didnt bother to tell them that he was already invited.