A Happy Ending?

Months after their wedding, Megan had finally finished decorating their new home. It was a beautiful contemporary modern house, stocked with anything a person could imagine. A state of the art kitchen, pool, gym, theatre, you name it. 

As she finished putting away some dishes, Megan was interrupted by the sound of her phone. She looked down to see something that truly took the thoughts from her mind, the breath from her throat. 

Alex. 

She hadn't thought of him in months. Megan almost felt angry that just his name could evoke such a physical response from her.

"Hey, Megan. It's Alex," he said after Megan hesitantly answered the call.

Megan was taken aback. She didn't know what to say, but eventually, she managed to get out a hesitant "Hey."

"I just wanted to apologize for everything that happened last year," Alex continued. "I was a complete idiot, and I'm sorry for the emails and the interaction at the gala."

Megan was surprised by Alex's apology, but she could tell that he was sincere. But she also was confused why he had chosen to call in the first place. That was months ago. Was she still on his mind? Had he not moved on like she thought he had?

"I appreciate your apology," she said, still unsure of what to make of the situation.

"I also wanted to let you know that I'm engaged," Alex said.

Megan's heart sank. She had never fully gotten over Alex, and the news of his engagement hit her hard even when it shouldn't have.

"I'm happy for you," she said, trying to keep her voice steady.

"Thanks," Alex said. "I just wanted you to know. I hope we can put everything behind us and move on."

Megan agreed, but she couldn't shake the feeling that seeing Alex again had stirred up old feelings she thought were long gone.

Over the next few weeks, Alex called Megan a few more times. They talked about their lives and caught up on old times. Megan enjoyed talking to him and found herself looking forward to their conversations.

One night, after a particularly long call, Megan found herself thinking about Alex. She tried to push the thoughts away, but she couldn't shake the feeling that she still had feelings for him.

The next day, Michael noticed that Megan seemed distant and asked her what was wrong.

"It's nothing," Megan said, trying to brush it off.

But Michael knew her too well. He pressed her to tell him what was on her mind.

Finally, Megan broke down and told him about her conversations with Alex and her lingering feelings for him.

Michael listened patiently and then took her hand.

"I understand how you feel, Megan," he said. "But we made a commitment to each other. We promised to love and cherish each other no matter what. You can't let old feelings get in the way of that."

Megan knew that Michael was right. She loved him and had made a commitment to spend her life with him. But she couldn't shake the feeling that there was something missing.

Over the next few weeks, Megan tried to push her feelings for Alex away. She threw herself into her work and spent more time with Michael, trying to rekindle the love they had for each other.

But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake the feeling that there was something missing.

One day, she received a call from Alex. He told her that he was in town and wanted to see her.

Megan knew that she shouldn't, but she couldn't resist the pull of her old feelings for him. She agreed to meet him for lunch. She didn't tell Michael, but she knew she should have. They were married now. This isn't what married people do.

But when her and Alex saw each other, it was as if no time had passed. They talked and laughed, and Megan found herself falling for Alex all over again.

But when she returned home, she knew that she couldn't keep these feelings from Michael. She told him everything and begged for his forgiveness.

Michael listened patiently and then took her in his arms.

"I forgive you, Megan," he said. "But you have to decide what you want. I won't be stringed along while you engage with an ex."

Megan knew that Michael was right. She had to make a choice. "I'm your husband Megan."

With that phrase Megan felt a pang of guilt. What she had done was wrong and wasn't fair to Michael. He had changed for her, became a better man for her. But why did it feel like that wasn't good enough.

Over the next few days, Megan thought long and hard about what she wanted. She loved Michael, but she also knew that her feelings for Alex were still there.

Megan knew that she couldn't keep both Michael and Alex in her life. She had to make a choice.

After much deliberation, she finally made a decision. She realized that Michael was the love of her life and that she couldn't let her old feelings for Alex get in the way of their future together. She knew that she had to let Alex go.

Megan called Alex to tell him that she couldn't see him anymore. Alex was upset but understood Megan's decision.

Weeks passed, and Megan and Michael worked on their relationship. They talked more, went on dates, and tried to rekindle the love they had for each other.

Eventually, their hard work paid off. Megan and Michael fell more in love with each other than ever before. They realized that their love was stronger than anything that had come between them.

Years passed, and Megan and Michael celebrated their 5th wedding anniversary. They renewed their vows on the beach, surrounded by their family and friends. As they exchanged rings, Megan knew that she had made the right choice. She had found her soulmate, and she was never going to let him go or so she thought.

As she looked into Michael's eyes, she knew that their love was stronger than anything in this world. And she knew that they were going to spend the rest of their lives together, no matter what the future held.