Chapter 1

It was a calm day at the Emperor Angel Aquarium in Graves Field, Connecticut. Luz Wittebane, the oldest daughter of Philip Wittebane and Camila Wittebane, the owners, was working hard at her father's Aquarium. While her twin sister, Veronica, or Vee for short, decided to go to college to become a herpetologist, a big passion of hers, Luz decided that she wanted to work with fish instead of reptiles and amphibians. Luz was currently feeding the sand tiger sharks when she was called on her radio.

"Luz, we need you at the quarantine tank." Camila said.

"On my way, mami." Luz said.

Luz finished her feeding and went to the quarantine tank. It was in a large separate building, used for when they get sick or injured sea creatures and can't put them in the main tanks. It was big enough to hold five, maybe even six, full grown whale sharks. Luz was fully prepared to see another shark or a few beluga whales, but what she saw, was not like anything she's ever thought of.

"Uh, mom, dad, when you called me here, I was expecting something... real." Luz said.

In the tank, were two... mermaids. Both with long, massive tails. The first one had a Betta Fish type tail, with a coloring of different shades of purples and blacks. The scales go up towards her chest, covering her... chest. Her long purple and brown hair freely flowing in the water. Her hands covered in purple scales, with long webbing between each finger, along with black claws. Other than that, she had pale skin and black eyes with bright yellow irises. The other one, had more of a shark type tail. Fairly basic with pale yellow stripes going down her dark grayish tail, almost like a tiger shark's pattern. Just like the other one, it covered most of her body in dark grayish placoid scales. Her hands were also like the other ones, covered in the grayish scales with webbing in between the finger and claws. Unlike the other one, she had a pale pink skin, dark pink hair, and three gray colored eyes.

"Yeah, they were found in the river outback." Philip said, "My guess, is that they were knocked there after the hurricane last week and couldn't get out. Luckily, it seems that there was enough salt water knocked in with them to keep them alive."

"They look like they took a beating." Camila said.

Luz looked at the fish human hybrids and saw that there were cuts and scrapes on them, they also looked very thin.

"What do you need from me?" Luz asked.

"Well... they... seem to like you." Camila said.

"What makes you say that?" Luz asked.

Philip pointed behind Luz, making her turn around and see five eyes looking at her from above water.

"They refuse to come up from under the water, this is the most they've come up." Camila said, "If they like you, then maybe you can help learn more about them."

The two mermaids raised their heads and looked at Luz. They smiled, revealing the Betta one's sharp fangs, and the shark one's... incredibly sharp shark like teeth. Luz got on her knees and reached towards them, which led to them swimming to the bottom of the tank. Luz went to the door and went down the stairs, going to the tank wall, below the observation area she was just at. They two swam up to the acrylic wall and put their hands against it. Luz slowly reached out and pressed her hand against the acrylic. The mermaids smiled at her and Luz smiled back. This is going to be weird for Luz, but... she thinks she just made some new friends.