Vee

Luz walked to the observation area of the quarantine tank, she wanted to check up on the mermaids, see how they're recovering. She went over to the meter to see how the tank water was doing. It was meant to match the oceans salinity, so if it was above or below, things could go wrong for whatever, or in this case, whoever, is in the tank. Thankfully, it's never failed.

"Alright, it looks like the saline is stable, just like your home in the ocean." Luz said, "Now, let's see how you two are doing."

Luz walked down to the lower level and looked at the acrylic wall, seeing the two mermaids swim without a care in the world. Luz noticed the injuries a little more and noticed that the Betta's tail had tears in it, almost as if it was caught and pulled off something very fast. It's not that bad, it was barely noticeable unless you look right at it, but it might be bad enough to hurt a little. The Shark's tail had didn't seem that bad, until you notice her face showing pain every time she swam.

"She might have a broken... bone, I think. Sharks don't typically have bones, but maybe a mermaid is different." Luz said, "They also seem malnourished, whatever they eat probably isn't found in the river. Fresh water rivers are significantly different that the vast saltwater ocean."

Luz went back to the observation area and looked at them below. She kneeled down to get a closer look at them. The Shark swam closer to the surface, enough that you can see the dorsal fin on her back breach the surface. If Luz didn't know what that actually was, she would be nervous. The door opened and the Shark immediately went to the bottom of the tank. Luz was also surprised by this and fell into the tank. Luz resurfaced and spit water out of her mouth. She saw a face that looked a lot like hers.

"Hey, Lucia." Vee said, "Enjoying your swim?"

Vee was standing there, wearing her usual jeans, yellow shirt with buttons near the white collar, and air force blue hoodie, along with her white vans and shoulder bag she uses for her college stuff, and the single silver earring she has. She let her hair grow longer than Luz does but has little yellow hairclips to keep her hair out of her eyes.

"Hi, Veronica, still covering your spots?" Luz asked.

Luz swam to the ledge and climbed out. Luz was now drenched and looked very annoyed.

"Don't you have college?" Luz asked.

"Nope, got cancelled today." Vee said, "So, I'm here to be the annoying little sister I am."

"Joy." Luz said, sarcastically.

Normally, Luz would love to spend time with her "Little" sister, but she was cold and wet, so she was a little more than annoyed.

"So, what are you monitoring in the tank?"

"Well put your bag down and take a look." Luz said.

Vee took her shoulder bag and looked. When she wasn't looking, Luz pushed her in, making Vee let out a startled shriek. Luz was laughing as Vee re-emerged from the water and spit it out like Luz.

"That isn't funny!" Vee said.

"I beg to differ." Luz said, struggling to breathe through her laughing fit.

Vee climbed out and pushed the wet hair out of her eyes.

"Have you seen my hairclips?" Vee asked.

"No." Luz said.

"Damn it, Luz, those were my only ones!" Vee said.

Vee went to her shoulder bag and got a compact mirror out. She saw her make up wearing off and revealing the white spots on her skin. Vee hated her vitiligo, and often used make up to cover it.

"Great, just great." Vee said, "Now I have to wait for my skin to dry in order to reapply my make up."

"Or you can embrace your spots." Luz said, "Come on, let's go get some towels and lunch."

Vee grabbed her bag and followed Luz out of the room. Luz would tell her parents about what she found on the way out. In the tank, the Shark grabbed the hairclips and put them in her own freely flowing hair. Surely Luz would like her with these.