6. Delirium

"27...28...29...30! Get ready, March! Here I come!" The Hatter calls out as he uncovers his face with a bright smile.

He glances around the woods, the sun shining down and casting shadows from the various trees. They had been playing a few rounds with one another for a while, the Hatter being next to seek. His eyes dart left and right for where he thinks the March Hare could be hiding before sprinting off in the distance excitedly. He's been practising his hide-and-seek skills with the March Hare a lot recently. It's much more fun than playing with the dolls in his home. They're not very good hiders or seekers since they never seem to want to play. The March Hare, however, is always up for a game and it is always a lot of fun for both of them.

Though the Hatter struggled in the last few rounds, he's sure that he will be successful and find his friend in no time. He wanders past the trees, searching hard for where his friend could be. He climbs a few trees to get a better view of the woods, proving unsuccessful by their thickness. Clearly, he has no advantage with the higher ground. Perhaps his friend is hiding amongst one of these trees. He does have impeccable jumping and climbing skills. He could very well get away with hiding on a high tree branch. The Hatter leaps down carefully and traverses further into the woods.

He continues his search, looking at every possible hiding place before he begins to question where he is. All of these trees very well look the same, how does he know he isn't going in circles? If only he can leave some kind of marking so he knows where he has searched. The Hatter then gets an idea. He reaches into his coat and pulls out a pair of blue sewing scissors that he would use often when making clothes for his dolls and occasionally to create clothes for himself and the March Hare, especially when he makes his signature hats. He uses the scissors to carve markings into the trees, a simple 'X' visible enough to see. This will be of great service to ensure he knows where he is going. He resumes the search for the March Hare, ensuring he leaves the marks every so often.

After a while of searching, the Hatter finally sees someone. In the corner of his eye, he sees someone shift behind a tree. He quickly darts his head to it and sprints in its direction.

"Ha! I knew you were close by...huh?" The Hatter stops himself as he peers behind the tree and sees nothing. Could the March Hare have dashed someplace else? He is a rabbit after all. That would make him significantly quicker. Then again, why would he come out of hiding in the first place? This is hide and seek, not tag. Regardless, the Hatter makes his way through the trees where the March Hare could have run off to, ensuring he marks his path on the way.

Soon enough, the Hatter catches the same figure moving behind the trees and rushes to follow behind them, believing them to be the March Hare.

"March! Are we playing a different game? I don't know what it is but my curiosity is peaked! Just wait until I catch you!" The Hatter calls out as he runs through the woods that are growing significantly darker the farther he goes. The sky begins to dim into a dark blue and the ground becomes covered in light fog. The Hatter looks around the darkness, but notices the figure close by, swiftly making his way to it. He only stops his chase when he comes to a clearing surrounded by thick trees leading off into the darkness. The fog is much heavier and causes blindness to where the Hatter needs to go.

"Hm? This is odd. I've never been to this part of the woods before. I could've sworn I saw March run around here," The Hatter says to himself in confusion. "Hmm...maybe I should go back. Perhaps I missed him?"

The Hatter tries to leave the clearing but he has no idea where he came from. The darkness and mist are too thick to see past. The Hatter only grows more puzzled as he hears voices in the distance. They sound small and shrill. They sound similar to the royal guards he would see often. Perhaps they know the way back? The Hatter listens for the voices carefully as he directs himself through the fog. As he traverses through the darkness, he is able to listen to the distant voices more clearly and make out what they are saying.