Past Present

“Welcome back! I'm glad to see you didn't die.” Anise says as she hugs both of them to their shock.

“We could have been killed?” Sage asks now fearful. “I thought we were safe in school. Was it really that dangerous?” Sage continue asks now wondering how they survive.

“Does the school actually kill students?” Rosemary asks, confused.

“Yes. Several students already perished.” Aloe says as she gives them the news. “They were counting throughout the week. Next time you won't come back until the end of the year.” Aloe continues with a sad expression.

“That reminds me. We have to get you a Terrasphere, Sage.” Anise says as she sees the panic in Sage eyes.

“What? They already give us Terraspheres to study with. I don't want one.” Sage says as she is backing up away from them.

“Fighting and Protecting yourself is a thousand times better with one. You will not regret it. I promise.” Anise says cheerfully.

“I do want to protect myself better. What's the catch?” Sage asks as Anise winces and looks away.

“Terraspheres are a lot like marbles when it comes to the names. The strongest are "spatial" series, where the others are based on creatures or elements.” Anise says as she sees Sage get interested as she thought she would. “This kind of Terraspheres are actually the kind you're suited for since you have such a great foundation in Old Magic.” Anise says as she is getting up from the couch.

“If it doesn't hurt, I guess I will try it. It is just that I thought it would be a to forget what I was taught to use New Magic.” Sage says as she looks away as she hears Anise giggling.

“If you forget, you wouldn't be able to use it at all. No taxing on the body. The Terrasphere takes all the costs. Some advice is to think about how much you would be using if it was your energy.” Anise says as she stands in front of the front door.

Sage reluctantly follows her to the door as well as Rosemary. “Can I get something while at the shop?” Rosemary asks cheerfully.

“I'll see when we get there. If it's not closed by the time you figure out what you want.” Anise says as the door is now open.

Anise leads the way as it was the opposite way of where Aloe took them. The brick and stone houses were lining the streets as a mix of houses, shops, and small restaurants. The Magic Shop was out of place as displays shimmered and glows in the afternoon sun.

The door chimes dances and ring as the door is opened into the shop. All the Terraspheres were in a glass case behind the counter, and everywhere else were pendants, amulets, staff, magic charms, and crystals, as well as unusual ingredients. Anise walks in and towards the back as the two girls look at the fancy, magical, wondrous things.

Alma was at the counter, and she was wearing a cardigan sweater and jeans. Sage noticed that she had the same rods in her hair like Professor Redbud.

“How may I help you today?” Alma asks as her eyes land on Sage's witch hat. “Do you have any questions, miss?” Alma asks, curious as Sage pulls the hat down, embarrassed.

“What's the real difference between Terraspheres and normal staffs and wands?” Sage asks as Rosemary is still poking a random skull she found.

“Classic. The difference is rather simple. Portability.” Alma says almost condescendingly. “We have bags for spell books, holsters for wands, but nothing to put magic staffs in. Three brilliant minds came together to make these.” Alma says happily, gesturing to the cabinet full of Terraspheres. “Are you here for a Terrasphere or a Staff?” Alma ask,  already knowing the answer.

“They made those instead of staff holders? How are they brilliant?” Rosemary asks from the back still by the magic staffs.

“I... um...” Sage,  hesitate thinking about something. “That is weird, but if I just get the Terrasphere, I would still be able to use Old Magic.” Sage says as she looks up at Anise, and she nods gently. “Okay, I will like a Terrasphere.” Sage says Alma gets the cabinet ready for Sage to pick.

Sage watched as the cabinet floated over to her, and as she leaned closer, one of the Terrasphere begins to glow in her presence. When she picks it up, it begins to shine brighly, and Sage holds it out as it turns into a staff.

“It was listening to what you wanted.” Alma says as she floats the cabinet back and begins to price the magic item.

Sage felt a twinge in her wrist while holding it, but that could be normal as she haven't held a staff that was glowing. The beautiful curl of the elegant sculpted wood.

“I love it.” Sage says as she's holding her new staff in both hands, and her grip gets tighter. Her wrist begins to ache as Sage feels something is wrong. She thinks it cast a spell on her by itself. It's hard to let go.

“I'm glad you like it. I like it too.” Anise says, smiling.

“Amazing! Now you will be great as a guardian!” Rosemary cheered

“I have the price ready when you're ready to pay.” Alma says in front of the register.

Sage head feels fuzzy as she hesitates to say anything about the feeling that is swallowing her up. Anise already paying for it, no use in returning it now. Sage looks down at her wrist, and there are now markings on it for how much power the Terrasphere has. It is currently filling up.

Anise begins to lead them back home as they follow. Besides a throbbing headache, she doesn't feel that bad. Sage has been using the staff as a crutch the whole time.

“Are you alright, Sage? You look drained.” Anise says as she looks back to her, slowing down the walking pace. Anise frowns, realizing what happened. “Looks like it was a Staff Bite. Magic staffs are pretty large, so it must have done a number on you.” Anise says as Rosemary goes back to help Sage walk. “Powering a Terrasphere is like casting an Old Magic Spell. The Magic within builds up. It usually charges when it is in its orb form and slower.” Anise says casually as Sage is shocked.

“So, it did hurt to get one. Why did you trick me?” Sage asks, angry and confused.

“It must have used all its energy signaling you to pick it up.” Anise says as she opens the door home.