Episode 10.4

On a Monday morning, as Winter was rearranging the books, she heard a familiar voice. Winter felt her heart skip a beat. Her stomach suddenly felt like it was tied in knots.

Winter kept her gaze lowered but her hand trembled as she picked up a book.

"Excuse me," the woman said, pulling her attention away from her thoughts. "Can I use the reserved seating even though I will not read the books I bought from this store?"

Winter nodded, "It's fine as long as you follow the rules and regulations on the bulletin board."

On her peripheral vision, Winter saw the customer leaning on the bookshelf. "Will I need to buy from the cafe though?"

Winter doesn't know why her body tensed up whenever at the sudden proximity. It was as if she was preparing for a fight or flight response.

'Tone it down' Winter reprimanded herself.

"Only if you want to," Winter answers as she continues to arrange the books. "Although, I would encourage you to buy at least the cheapest drink if you're gonna stay longer than three hours."

The shop owner heard the woman chuckle. "Of course," she answers.

Winter felt like every nerve in her body was abruptly on high alert.

Wanting to escape from the interaction, Winter pushed the cart to rearrange the books at the other end of the shelves.

"Do you answer all the members' questions like this? Or do you have a small pamphlet of rules and regulations where we could look?"

'Oh we're still talking' Winter internally mutters to herself.

"We actually have a website that lists those, it's written on your membership card," Winter informs.

She heard rustling noises and a sound of confirmation from the woman. "Should've probably checked that..." Karina mumbles to herself.

Just as Winter was about to say something, Giselle interrupted them. "Hey, dumbo" she said, walking over. "Can you man the cash register for me real quick? I need to take a bathroom break."

Winter winced at the nickname but still grateful for the distraction. She walked over to the cash register and began to ring up a customer's purchase.

Winter scanned the items on the cash register yet she couldn't resist stealing a glance at the woman who was busy checking out the new arrivals on the shelves.

The woman looked so comfortable wearing her hoodie, her long wavy hair was cascading down her back like a waterfall. Winter felt a sudden urge to touch it, to feel the softness of her hair against her fingertips.

Suddenly, a customer interrupted her thoughts. "Excuse me, miss?" Winter snapped out of her trance and turned to the customer with a smile. "Yes, how may I assist you?" she asked politely.

"Do you have any Paulo Coelho novels?" the customer asked.

"Yes ma'am, it's on aisle 3 if I'm not mistaken," she said, pointing to the shelves.

As the customer walked away, Winter couldn't help but turn her attention back to the woman who captured her attention.

She tried to catch a glimpse of the woman's face, wondering if she was smiling as she browsed the pages.

Unfortunately, all Winter could see was the back of her head.

Winter wondered what the woman was thinking.

Curious if she was thinking about her too.

'Oh don't start dumbass' Winter reprimanded herself.