Episode 16.5

The dawn of a new day bathed the manor in serene stillness, the air heavy with dread. Within the hallowed halls, Lady Ning attended to the needs of the Hebi family who sought solace and refuge under her benevolent roof. The weight of responsibility rested upon her shoulders, for the council she had summoned had deemed her the guardian of the Ashen Veil carriers.

Lady Ning had decreed that all servants be banished from the confines of her noble abode. A necessary measure to protect the town from the family afflicted by the wretched plague. She alone would bear the burden of interaction.

Flickering candles cast dancing shadows on the room. Lady Ning sat at a long wooden table strewn with vials of colorful potions and ancient tomes.

The lady's gaze fixated on her endeavors until the heavy wooden door creaked open, revealing Winter adorned with an enigmatic facial garment. Lady Ning's eyes darted toward the princess.

"Pardon my words, your grace, but what is that horrendous thing?"

"It's a mask," Winter responded, but upon seeing her friend's perplexed expression, she clarified, "It serves as protection against infections."

"Really?" Lady Ning looked at her, fully captured by the sight of the facial gear.

The princess gave her a nod. "Yes. This guarantees that I do not get sick from the plague."

"How can a small fabric protect you from such an evil thing?"

"Well..." Winter drawls out. "If the plague can be passed through... droplets of saliva caused by coughs, the mask acts as a shield for me."

The lady's eyed the garment with wonder. "I see," she says before her gaze wandered toward the table, where numerous elixirs were meticulously arranged. Suddenly, she remembered something. A mischievous smile curled Lady Ning's lips as she leaned back in her chair. "So, your grace, how does your intense knight let you dwell in my quarters alone? Knowing full well that there's an Ashen in here?"

Winter sighed, her gaze shifting from the table to Lady Ning. "Jimin doesn't know I'm here."

Lady Ning's amusement twinkled in her eyes. "Ah, I expected no less. But pray tell, dear princess, why harbor such hostility towards your valiant knight? Jimin is a capable protector, after all."

Winter's fingers traced the intricate details of a random elixir bottle in front of her. "I have something to tell you... to confess actually... this revelation may seem profound, it may render me a madwoman in your eyes."

Lady Ning's curiosity was piqued, "Pray, share your truth with me."

"I have memories of my multiple lives, and each time I get too close to someone with Jimin's face—" Winter gulped. "—she dies. After that, I'll follow her in death just to wake up to another life. It's like a never-ending nightmare has been cursed upon me." Winter exhaled after explaining, her eyes fixed on the lady's reaction.

On the other hand, Lady Ning looked at her blankly before her laughter echoed through the chamber. "Thou almost had me there, your grace. You jest with proper timing. I give that to you." The lady comments as she starts mixing her potions. "Do you think I have not encountered the tales of the Deviant?"

"Deviant?"

"Aye, the tale you hast cleverly borrowed to regale me," Lady Ning responded. "I am no stranger to such chronicles."

"But I'm telling the truth!'

Lady Ning's lips curved into a skeptical smile. "Of course, thy grace," she replied, her tone laden with subtle sarcasm. "Yet, if you indulge my curiosity, I must inquire—Shall it be Jimin's face you should always meet?"