Generλl Informλtion

Something I think should be said is that I'll be using the original Half-Life 1, not Black Mesa (a HL1 remake), because the things they added won't be considered canon, even if you and I think it should. This is to just make it easier for me and you. I will also try to stay with 100% confirmed canon (a good part of the reason I'm not using Black Mesa), but will be considering Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and Decay as canon, even if you don't think it should. Also it will make my parts longer, so yay! I will not be covering Half-Life 2 and it's episodes in this story, but perhaps another.

General Information About the Half-Life 1 Games

The first four Half-Life (HL) games (Half-Life/ HL, Half-Life: Opposing Force/ HL:OF, Half-Life: Blue Shift/ HL:BS, and Half-Life: Decay/ HL:D) take place exactly at the same time. They take place sometime during the early 2000s (exact date unknown).

The HL series was made by Valve, and was in fact their first game to be released in 1998 on the Gold Source Engine, a heavily modified version of the Quake Engine and predecessor to Valve's famous Source Engine. The series is a first person shooter involving aliens from a place called Xen (pronounced like zen). I won't get too into that right now. HL, and the whole series in general, is often remarked as one, if not the most important first person shooters to ever come out. HL came out in a time of gaming when most games didn't really have a story, or at least that wasn't it's main purpose. HL, on the other hand, was not only a video game with a story, it was a video game with a story in a very unique way. Most games then with a story, and even some today, told you practically everything you needed to know, before, during, and after. For example, a side character telling you what just happened outside (or you can think of the Star Wars opening scenes where they tell you what had happened between movies). HL would've let you seen the thing happening outside. It kind of acted like a movie, showing not telling. It also introduced many different things that no other first person shooter had.

Outside from the praise it got back when it first came out, and still gets to this day, the games aren't mentioned or talked about as much today. Though, there are small, but strong communities built around HL and other Valve IPs.

General Information About This Thing I'm Making

This is heavily inspired by Skyrionn, a YouTuber. He makes lore videos about Half-Life and some other games. He is very amazing and you should check him out.

I will probably make one of these about HL2 and it's episodes, and possibly what we know about episode 3, and a possibility of covering Epistle 3. Half-Life: Alyx would be it's own can of worms because of its ending, so probably would be it's own thing. I might even do more detailed stories of the Half-Life characters, which will be all in one preferably.

I won't try to make a set day for a release of a new part because that could very quickly make the quality of this even worst than it already is. Basically, I'll publish a new part when I'm happy with it, not when a set date appears.

That's it for now, enjoy the weird world of a 1998 universe.