Pre Gλme Story

Black Mesa, a private government funded research facility to research many different things, develop weapons, advanced suits, and local teleportation, acquired a Xen crystal they called GG-3883 not too long before the events of the Half-Life series begin through unknown means. This Xen crystal was the most unstable and purest crystal they have ever gotten before. They select the date March 16 200- (there is no known exact year, we only know it is somewhere between 2000 - 2009). Up to a few hours before the events of the games, Dr. Gordon Freeman and the guard Barney Calhoun leave their respective living quarters by the Black Mesa Tram System while Gina Cross and Collette Green make their way to Dr. Richard Keller. Dr. Rosenberg is also about to get to Dr. Keller. Adrian Shepard was likely at the Bootcamp, seen in Opposing Force's optional tutorial level.

The scientists who are running the experiment with sample GG-3883 starts the preparation for the most important Anti-Mass Spectrometer test ever. They set the power to 105%, which is dangerous because they always do nothing more than 90%. It also causes many technical problems for not only Sector C, but for the entirety of the Black Mesa Research Facility.

Freeman was heading for Sector C's Test Labs, Barney, also in Sector C, but going to the Security Facilities area. Adrian Shepard is still at the Bootcamp and Doctors Cross, Green and Rosenberg are all heading for a different area in Sector C's Test Labs.