ɪɴᴠɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴs [𝟶𝟸]

The dorms were old. Like, older than your grandma's grandma, old. Cheap and easy things always came with a catch, you supposed. Chipping, pale canary paint bordered the wooden trim of the narrow and odd-smelling hallway, and there were suspicious stains of the carpet. It felt more like a freaky motel than a university accommodation, but it was still a thousand times better than that disgusting bed and breakfast you had checked into on your first night in Shiganshina.

Terrified, you had pinned your curtains shut with a hair grip and glued yourself to the bed, rejecting room service in case there was an axe murderer lurking in the neighbouring room, which was an unfair superstition, but the town hadn't done its best to be particularly appealing. The disgruntled taxi driver had been utterly lecherous and the way everyone glared down brand new 'city folk' like you was almost ravenous. Desperate times did indeed call for desperate measures but never had you expected yourself to stoop so low- to a dank little town in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately, beggars could not be choosers, so you decided to swallow your pride and follow along with the rest of them.

Boris rushed ahead like some kind of puppy; floppy fringe falling into his eyes as he removed an ancient key from his back pocket. He brandished it into the air, the light from the once again surplus windows catching against its surface and reflecting right into your eyes. You shielded yourself from them, with the hand that wasn't struggling with your luggage to prevent your migraine from getting worse. The suitcases had been simply dropped outside the small apartment, no form of protection provided. If you had any insurance, you would definitely been suing for bad customer service.

Like the gentleman he was, Thomas and taken a few of them for you whilst the others simply skipped past the pile of boxes and belongings. It was certainly a two-trip job. Despite the shabby appearance of the building, it carried a sense of indisputable character. Warmth and comfort poured through from the cracks beneath the peeling wallpaper and wrapped around you like the loving arm of a parent.

Chewing your lip, you caught your reflection in the mirror. You didn't look bad, necessarily, but the migraine was taking its toll and your eyelids felt heavy. Just some nice rest and relaxation was all you wanted, but for these parts, it was a little too much to ask.

"y/n, here's a welcome to our humble abode." Laughed Boris, sliding the key into the lock.

The mint green door had brass knob, a fucking doorknob. How old really was this place? Once the door was pushed open, you realised that Boris had really meant that 'humble' part. The cramped space of the living room was clean for the most part, but stocked with so much unnecessary clutter and absolute junk that you grimaced. There was going to be serious reformation if you were going to be staying here for the better part of a year.

Thankfully, the other parts of the apartment did not possess those floral granny curtains or the cringy motivational wall arts, that you assumed were the work of the Nifa. The kitchenette was mainly modern, still having that wooden, rustic feel, but respectable enough in today's society. Trailing your fingers over the glossy counter, you heard a grunt as Thomas struggled to lift your larger suitcases.

"You'll be sharing with Mina." Pointed out Louise, tapping your shoulder in order for you to follow the other girl and Thomas to the space that you would be resting in.

Mina's room was neat and tidy, a short bedside bookshelf between the two freshly-made beds and with little personality. It seemed as if she hadn't decided to customise it knowing that there was the possibility of someone having to move in with her, which you respected.

"I'm not really picky about what you do and don't do in here, but just stay out of my side of the wardrobe and leave my sweets and chocolates alone, got it? They're the only British thing I have to remember London." The girl ordered, pointing to a small tub of home treats.