4.

HER CHEST ACHED AS SHE LISTENED TO HIS WORDS, felt every one of them knitting into her soul where she swore to keep them safe. This man, who'd given up his life to fight for their country, had only wanted something to call his own.

        A home, she realised heartbreakingly.

        He'd wanted a home.

        Funny, because Rosie had been searching for the same thing when she'd decided to get pregnant with Lily. At thirty years old Rosie felt like she had wasted most of her life with work, simply trying to survive. Despite leaving school with decent GCSEs, Rosie ended up behind a till in a supermarket being paid minimum wage.

        It hadn't been so bad when she was younger and lived with her Mum. But after a long battle with breast cancer, her Mum passed, and Rosie found herself homeless at twenty-one. She rented her flat which despite its small size cost almost half her wages. The rest went on bills and food. Rosie worked nonstop simply so she could keep a roof over her head and eat cheap supermarket-brand food. She worked to live and lived to work.

        Her Mum had left her some money which Rosie refused to touch for things like rent or food. The money was special. It was from her Mum. It should be spent on something which Rosie would treasure forever.

        So when Rosie hit that big three-zero with nothing to show for it, she realised she wanted a family. Something to make each day worth getting up for. She'd had enough money in her savings to afford private Intrauterine insemination, plus more to help buy all the baby stuff she needed. Rosie knew there was nothing else she wanted to spend her mother's money on. She was also entitled to state benefits including childcare costs if need be, so once the baby was here, she wouldn't be worse off money-wise.

        When the time came, Rosie went on maternity leave. . .and never returned because before she could, the dead walked.

        "I get it," she whispered, blinking back tears. "That need for something to make all the shit worthwhile. I get it, Levi."

        Levi took a breath, eyes downcast and aimed away from her. To hide his tears, she thought. "I won't. . .impose on you, Rosie. I don't expect anything. You won't even know I'm here. I'll stay out of your way," he assured her, voice raw. "I just want to be nearby so I can protect you both, should you need it."

        "Levi," she whispers, astonished. How was this big, rough, scary-looking soldier, who'd witnessed such horror, so sweet and gentle? It twisted at her. "It's going to take some getting used to. I decided to go with a donor because I liked the idea of not having to share her with anyone else. But since you're here. . .I think I'll be ok with it. Just let me wrap my head around the whole thing, yeah?"

        "Take all the time you need, love," he said, eager as a puppy. "Do you want me to go, give you some space?"

        "No, no. It's fine. You can stay for a while." It didn't feel right to send him away when he'd only just arrived. Even if it was only to a different flat in the same tower block. "I was about to have dinner. You can eat with me if you'd like."

        Levi accepted her offer and Rosie headed to the kitchen with Lily on her hip. She still wasn't prepared to leave him alone with her daughter, even if she did sympathise with him.

        She grabbed two cans out of her cupboard and noted that it was time to stock up. She'd have to ransack some more. So far she'd gained access to five flats, two of them on her floor and three on the ground. She still needed to do the floor between her and the ground one.

        Flat 8 next to hers had been her first zombie kill, an elderly lady who used to knock once a week and ask for sugar. Rosie always bought an extra bag in her shop just for Ms Hendericks. Rosie had cried whilst bashing her brains out and then dragged her body to the window where she dumped it. It wasn't the kind of burial she'd like to have given her, but Rosie was worried about the biohazard a decomposing zombie would create. She'd rather not find out, especially when living directly next door.