9.

IT HAD GONE MIDNIGHT by the time Levi returned to Rosie's flat. There was a blanket neatly folded on top of a pillow on the sofa. He smiled at that.

        Her door was opened a crack just like before but unlike last time, there was a faint light shining through. The flashlight. He figured she must have fallen asleep with it on so gently called out her name. He was surprised to get a response.

        "Yeah, I'm up. Come in," Rosie responded almost eagerly.

        Levi stepped inside, noticing her put a book down. Her back was against the headboard where the flashlight rested. She looked tired.

       "Not sleeping?" he asked, concerned.

        "I can't," she admitted after a second. "Every time I close my eyes. . .I feel there's on me."

        He could understand that. "He can't see you anymore, love. We blocked all the holes, yeah?"

        "I know, but I'm worried he'll just make more." Rosie frowned suddenly as if something had just occurred to her. "Wait. He? Did you find something?"

        Levi mentioned what he found in that flat. "There's still a few more apartments to search, but I'm not sure it's going to be easy for me to catch him. I can't climb like he can and unfortunately forgot to pack my rappelling gear. Hopefully, my friendly note will be enough for him to get a hint."

        "Hopefully," she agreed but it lacked heart. "Just. . .this is so crazy. How does he even get the windows open from the outside?"

        "No signs of forcing them. If I had to guess, they were already open. People not gonna be as bothered about closing 'em when you're this high up."

        Rosie didn't think she'd ever feel comfortable having them open again. "You know, I was nervous about leaving this place. Starting somewhere new and unknown, especially when all the other safe zones failed. But now? God, could your people get here quicker please."

        Levi's smile was a little on the sad side. "They'll be with us soon, love. I promise you that."

        She hoped he was right. When he shifted on his feet and looked like he was about to leave, Rosie panicked. "Could you stay?" She'd spent the last few hours trying to sleep with no luck, but having him in here with them might change that. "If you don't mind."

        Levi didn't mind at all. "On the floor? Between you and the window?"

        Rosie sighed as if a weight had been lifted. "That'd be great."

        "I'll fetch my pillow."

        It barely took him twenty seconds to grab it and lay it out on the slither of ground separating Rosie from the curtains. It was a bit of a tight fit, just a few inches bigger than the width of his shoulders but he wouldn't complain. Not when she was trusting him with this.

        Once he's settled on the floor Rosie turned on her side to face him, her cheek resting on the back of her hand. "Thanks," she whispered after a few seconds of silence.

        Levi folded his own hands behind his head, staring up at the ceiling. "Don't have to thank me, love. Looking after you and our girl like this it's - hell, it's an honour."

        Rosie's heart fluttered. He made her feel so. . .special. Like she was someone more than Rosie Bryce, a single mum, with a dead-end career, and little-to-none social life. Her work colleagues used to call her boring because she'd rather stay in on a Friday night instead of going to the pub. Well, this boring woman had a Prince Charming who'd trekked across the zombie-infested United Kingdom to find her and Lily. Suck on that.