22. Culinary Seduction

Lorne looked up at the manager and nodded. "This certainly makes it easier – a no-brainer, actually. Please, let's have the chef do that."

"Excellent! I'll inform your waiter." Michael nodded toward our glasses. "May I send the sommelier in to top up your Champagne?"

I put a hand on top of mine and shook my head as Lorne replied. "We're fine, thank you."

Michael acknowledged, and Lorne continued, "I've been unable to find out who the chef is."

"He wishes to remain in the background until we're well-established – new venture, reputation and all of that."

"Yes, of course."

After Michael had left, Lorne closed the menu, placed it with the other, and laid the list of specials on the table between us. When I had examined it, I said, "Appears not to be arranged in order of service – the foie gras before the snapper."

"Looks like the entrées are listed first, then the mains."

"Yes, of course. But even there, with its richness, the pressed duck might better follow the venison."

"True, unless the foie gras, duxelles and Madeira sauce of the Wellington are richer."

I nodded while finishing a bite of caviar blini and pointing to the list. "The crab ravioli. Isn't that the plate Feenie presented when he beat Morimoto? When he won his Iron Chef."

"Yeah, I was just thinking that. Watched that episode so many times – a real classic. That's what hooked me into reviewing dining."

"Mmmm. The crab was always my choice at Lumière – until the quality changed when Rob left." Oh, God! Then the restaurant failed. Was it part of...

Lorne's words interrupted my thoughts, "My choice, as well. I'd love to have a full serving of it rather than a half – bring back the memories."

"Crazy, isn't it? From owning what was often called Canada's finest restaurant, he descended to running the test kitchen in a chain."

"Part owner. Word is he got squeezed out in a partnership dispute."

I nodded, then smiled as I looked again at the list of specials. "The octopus bacon with the snapper reminds me of C."

"Yeah, Chef Clark's creation – part of the move to sustainable seafood. What amazing innovators he and Harry were. Cutting-edge restaurants with environmental consciousness. Such fond memories of the times we shared in them." Lorne sighed, leaned and kissed my cheek, cupping my left breast as he whispered, "Failed restaurants. Change subject."

I hummed a long moan and pressed my hands onto his for a while before I lifted it away. "Later. Someone may come in."

"Umm, yeah." He sat up and glanced toward the door, then back at the list. "Appears Nuance is following their locally-sourced lead. Wouldn't be surprised if all the accompanying wines are from the Okanagan and the Island."

"Ooh! That would be nice." I looked at my glass of Möet, snickering to myself as I pictured the sommelier scrambling to adjust his wine matches. "But they served an ordinary Champagne rather than a more exciting local choice, so maybe the sommelier is old school."

We carried on our banter while we enjoyed our amuse-gueules, and Lorne finished his Champagne. I slid my unfinished glass across to him, partly to show moderation but mostly because of its lack-lustre nature.

Lorne pursed his lips at it and shook his head. "Thanks, but no. I'm amazed that it remains the world's best-selling Champagne."

I shrugged. "Marketing."