Chapter 5 New School

By the time Thomas got back, it was 7 pm. It was dark now, and he knew he had to go to bed, due to him having his first day of whatever school this is going to be, on the next day. It took a while for Thomas to completely fill up his water tank. Apparently, the whole thing ran dry. There wasn't a single pound of liquid left in his tanks. It took up so much time for Edward to help fill them; it was getting dark by the time they were finished.

"I'm sorry Thomas," Edward said, as he climbed into Thomas's cab. "I know you wanted to talk to your boyfriend for the rest of the day."

Thomas sat there. "Well, I can still, can't I?" Thomas asked. "I'll make sure to still go to bed early for tomorrow, it won't take only but a second to check up on him," He said. But Edward shook his head. "You did say he's in Canada right?"

"Uh-huh," Thomas said. "Well, I reckon it's 6 PM right about now. Which means it's about 10 at night for him," Edward said. "Oh, Cinders and ashes," Thomas sighed. "I seriously forgot about the different time zones."

"Yeah, It sometimes slips out of my brain too," Edward admitted. "By the time you get back; it'll take a little over a half hour. And for you to find yourself in your dorm, it'll maybe be 9 pm. It'll be past midnight for your boyfriend."

"I'll stay in your cab for now, I'll watch over your controls, to see if they're working properly," Edward mentioned. He had turned a few knobs and turned a few valves. He lit up the firebox. "Don't be shy to ask any of us elders if you need help starting yourself up, ok? We're here to help if you need it,"

***

That night, Thomas was lying in the bed. He didn't bother to write or call Carter. He was sure he was asleep and didn't want to bug him.

The air was calm in the room, and it was comforting. He had the window open slightly. Despite it being night, some of the adults, and maybe a few teenagers, were out. Thomas didn't know what they were doing, but he could hear faint whistles, and faint chugging in the air, in the distance of the brisk night.

It was relaxing, really. He loved it. It was also very calming.

'Maybe this won't be too bad,' Thomas thought to himself. He rolled on the bed, trying to snuggle into the pillow, listing to the rumbling of the trains outside the window.

He soon fell asleep.

****

It was now the next morning, and Thomas awoke to someone knocking on the door. "Thomas! Wake up! It's Duck."

Thomas was so tired, he opened his eyes; The sun was barely rising outside the window. 'Cinders and ashes, what time is it?' He said to himself. "Thomas, please," He heard Duck say. "Edward told me to help you get ready for your first day,"

Thomas sat on his bed. "Alright, I'm coming," He stood up, then walked over to the door, tiredly. He opened it, and once he did, there was Duck in that green shirt. "Morning!" Duck said with a smile. Thomas just smiled back. "Morning," said Thomas, real tired-like. "Wow, you look exhausted. Did... You even sleep?"

"I think I did," said Thomas, rubbing his eyes. "Still am getting used to being in a new place," He said. Duck nodded. "I understand. Get dressed, some breakfast and tea might awake you."

Thomas nodded.

"I'll wait for you at the main doors, come find me when you're ready," said Duck.

Duck left, leaving Thomas alone for him to get dressed. But, Thomas knew what he had to do first. Now, would probably be a good time to send Carter a message. He quickly ran over to his bed, then hopped on it, to sit down. He nabbed his laptop and quickly opened it. He was rather surprised to see that Carter had sent a few messages.